Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be where I am running for the next week:

I grew up on this beach on the Isle of Tiree in the Inner Hebrides :) 2.5 miles of golden sand....Just thought I would share it with you :d

O.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tiree is the sunniest place in the UK. It all depends what you call chilly :) It sits to the west of Scotland and is in the gulf stream so usually gets brilliant weather when nowhere else is.
I was there 2 weeks ago running in shorts and tshirt while my mate who is from Wakefield direction was running with a wooly hat, gloves, thermal running trousers and 2 tshirts :d

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
chilly = anything below 8 degrees,
cold = anything below 5 degrees, and
bliddy freezin = well... freezing, obviously

I always associated Hebrides with bliddy freezin :huh:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Owain said:
This will be where I am running for the next week: I grew up on this beach on the Isle of Tiree in the Inner Hebrides :) 2.5 miles of golden sand....Just thought I would share it with you :d O.
Wonderful place Owain. Is that Gott Bay where they do the sand yachting? I've camped at Scarinish and run along the top of Gott Bay and over the golf course at Vaul - amongst other places.
Most of the Hebrides have good weather, apart from the wind. Way back in 1949 I worked on Iona for six months, from June to December, and swam almost every night from Traigh Ban Nam Manach beach. We were on Mull and Ulva just before Easter this year and had four glorious days of sunshine with brilliant sunsets. The Hebrides are among my favourite places on earth. Wish I was running with you!
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Runningfox said:
Wonderful place Owain. Is that Gott Bay where they do the sand yachting? I've camped at Scarinish and run along the top of Gott Bay and over the golf course at Vaul - amongst other places.
Most of the Hebrides have good weather, apart from the wind. Way back in 1949 I worked on Iona for six months, from June to December, and swam almost every night from Traigh Ban Nam Manach beach. We were on Mull and Ulva just before Easter this year and had four glorious days of sunshine with brilliant sunsets. The Hebrides are among my favourite places on earth. Wish I was running with you!
Cheers!

Hi Foxy

Where have you been?

TT :d

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Fox!
Yes, that is Gott Bay, my grand parents used to own the Tiree Lodge Hotel and my house is on Gott Bay, just past the Kirkapol guest house, you would have ran past it on your way to Vaul :)
We take about 30 traction kiters over to Tiree every year and we have great fun blasting up and down the beaches on the island and also in the water!

O.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
twinkle toes said:
Hi Foxy. Where have you been? TT :d
I keep getting into your wonderful country north of the border - Balcary Bay last Hogmanay, Mull at Easter and I'll be doing another coast to coast walk in four weeks time - from Lochailort to Dunnottar Castle. I might even get to Tiree again this summer when my partner is over in the States.
Yes, I ran past Kirkapol, out to Vaul then along the coast past the Ringing Stone to pick up the path back to Traigh Mhor. I used to do a nice twelve mile route too, round by Balephetrish bay and Cornaigmore, listening to the Corncrakes, marvelling at the profusion of orchids and wishing I could run as fast as the wild hares around the airfield"! I'll be back!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Beautiful place Owain.........

Great to see you back Foxy.

I for one have missed your wise words.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
For all the newer members of this forum.

I`m sure I am speaking for most of us if I say that Runningfox has been an inspiration.

I urge you all to look at his profile.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Dave said:
Beautiful place Owain.........Great to see you back Foxy. I for one have missed your wise words..
Don't know about the wise words Dave. My old bones don't like the damp English climate so lately I've been working out on the treadmill down at the gym, apart from an odd spell down in Lanzarote.
But mention of wonderful places like Tiree shakes me out of my lethargy and suddenly I'm a runner again. It almost brings tears to my eyes to think about it, the clear air, the sun and the wind and all the beautiful sights, scents and sounds. That's what running is all about.
Cheers!

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well we are heading out next week and then again in August. Maybe see you there :)

If anyone is interested or just bored at work, I recommend having a look on this site: http://users.zetnet.co.uk/gshaw/tiree.htm

There are some really nice photos of Tiree on that site.

O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts