Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed myself up for my first 'proper' race! It's a flat, 5 mile out-and-back course on road.

Anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
....better stay off the choccie then!!

Good luck with the race..sure it will go well though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry - was so tired yesterday I couldn't type!

Not a lot to tell about the day – all seemed to go off without a hitch! I get more nervous about finding my way there and parking – the sheet I got said there is limited parking and that vehicles would be removed on a certain part of the course so I got there BEFORE the car parking people!! Turned up to register but it appears you don’t have to unless you don’t have your race number. No one else around so I went and sat back in the car as it was another 2 hours before the race! Went back an hour before the start to mingle etc and got chatting to a couple there.

I thought I’d be last so I started at the back of the pack. The gun went off before I knew it - they didn't really prepare people! I started my watch from the time I crossed the start line and given how slow some people were going I felt it was alright taking it easy at the beginning, but then I got a bit too quick for myself. The day was quite warm and the sun was beating down – and there was no shade on the course!

On the way back everyone was running into the wind which was tough! Started to get a stitch after about 3 miles but I kept on running anyway – remembered Trin talking about being ill during a marathon but carrying on to complete it! Carried on at a slower pace. I'd say the race was tougher than my normal runs because I kept saying 'catch that person up' - whoever was in front of me!

Turned the corner for the last couple of meters and crossed the line, stopped my watch once I'd got out the other side. My watch said 46.36, but looking at the results on the website it says 46.46! I must say I trust my own watch more! Still I was happy enough with that! Roll on the next one!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow, thats a great result, well done. I usually meet up with some mates who are entering the same race, its a lot better to have someone to chat to while waiting.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks peeps - still recovering! First run tonight afterwards!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Excellent report and run Nat.

Have a good run tonight...keep that training going!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts