Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to see how fast professional walkers race their events and was shocked to discover how bloody fast they are. I used to think it was a bit of a joke event, but jesus can they move fast.

the 20km world record for men is 1:16:43
the 50km world record for men is 3:34:13

They walk sub 40 10ks!!! How? I just find this incredibly amazing. These people can walk at the paces I run.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was curious to see how fast professional walkers race their events and was shocked to discover how bloody fast they are. I used to think it was a bit of a joke event, but jesus can they move fast.

the 20km world record for men is 1:16:43
the 50km world record for men is 3:34:13

They walk sub 40 10ks!!! How? I just find this incredibly amazing. These people can walk at the paces I run.
That is startling!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
They are near enough quicker than our faster members of our club :|

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I want to know where they practice! I have never ever seen anyone training for speed walking. Can't blame them for not doing it in public.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
To think I usually feel smug overtaking walkers :confused:

I probably wouldn't get close to these guys!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I challenge any/all of you to go out this weekend and do a 5k speedwalk time trial. Anyone up for it? Could any of you face the embarassment?

What I find bizarre is that these speedwalkers are obviously extremely fit, with great speed and endurance in their legs, and can post ridiculously fast times. The thing is, I would assume that if they ran they would be a lot faster. Why would somone choose to compete in a ridiculous looking race rather than just go for the proper running events? I mean surely these record breaking walkers would be highly competitive marathon runners.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Ok, I challenge any/all of you to go out this weekend and do a 5k speedwalk time trial. Anyone up for it? Could any of you face the embarassment?
Probably not! I'd be an instant target to any youg hoodlums! :d

·
Registered
693 Posts
What I find bizarre is that these speedwalkers are obviously extremely fit, with great speed and endurance in their legs, and can post ridiculously fast times. The thing is, I would assume that if they ran they would be a lot faster. Why would somone choose to compete in a ridiculous looking race rather than just go for the proper running events? I mean surely these record breaking walkers would be highly competitive marathon runners.
Maybe they tried running and just didnt get on with it?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts