Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I'd very much like to hear peoples opinions or things people have read on the matter of the body going into 'starvation mode', and general weight loss in general.

Since Xmas I've been trying to lose weight, I eat pretty healthily and exercise a lot... In a bid to lose weight i've found myself really trying to cut out anything bad or too calorific, yet weight loss is seemingly beginning to plateu...

I'm the last person I could imagine having a body that would go into 'starvation mode' (the situation people refer to when calorie intake far lower than the body needs and the body adapts to survive on minimal food intake, dropped metabolism etc...), and I've heard that calorie intake of below 1200 Calories a day will lead to the body entering this so called 'starvation mode'

Anyway, i'll try not to waffle on, I've started keeping a food diary/log after a thread on the forum. I've been tallying up my food intake and total calories for most days over the past week, and then compared them to what I'm burning off. The result?? I have a calorie defecit typically over 1,000 kcals a day (several at 1400'ish). Is this likely to be putting my body into starvation mode? Or am I more likely to be just reaching my bodies natural 'ideal weight'??

I'm 23, 5'11", currently 12st 8lb, losing around a pound of weight a week.

I understand this may come across to many as being overly obsessed calorie counting etc and I'm sure people may think I should just not worry about it so much, but ultimately It's just a case of wanting to get myself into the best running shape possible. I don't want to be underweight by any means, but my current weight is pushing on for the 'overweight' category based on BMI.

All comments welcome, however harsh! :embarrassed: lol.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A calorie defecit over a 1000 a day?!?!? WTF???? You mean you're eating like... 1000 calories and burning off 2000.... a day??? I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
A calorie defecit over a 1000 a day?!?!? WTF????
Is that the Scientist coming out in you a-n-s.............:p

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm 23, 5'11", currently 12st 8lb ? - that sounds about right to me, throw that calorie sheet away immediately.!

·
Registered
159 Posts
With a calorie defecit like that I'm sure your body's metabolism will have dropped to try to counter some of it. The cold at this time of year doesn't help either. Still, a pound a week is pretty healthy isn't it? But I would have thought you could acheive that with a far higher intake.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I mean Jason, typically you'd expect that for every 3500 Kcal defecit you should lose about 1lb of fat... so for a weeks defecit of over 8000, you'd expect at least 2lb drop?

It's not like i'm intentionally starving myself or anything, to be honest it's all come around based on some dud information I got to start with. As we all know basic calorie requirements are in the region of 2000 for females, 2500 for blokes. Now I was reading about basic metabolic rate, being the amount of calories one burns naturally in a day, mine worked out to be 1907, so I limited my calories to 2000 a day, thinking if I burned 2500 (BMR + exercise) I'd lose a lb a week. Having read more into it, BMR is calorie requirement for literally doing nothing, other than existing. Once my basic movements for teh day are added, my calorie expenditure before exercise is more like 2500 (which figures!).

I know 12st 8lb is hardly a health concern, but in terms of a long distance runner (and someone who was 9.5stone 6 years back), it's heavier than I'd like to be!

Pedestrians comments about runners of today being saturated with information are sounding rather true atm :embarrassed: lol!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yes... yes it is... How on earth do you burn that much a day?!?! I burn maybe 700, 1300 at most!! Even do speedwork, I burn maybe 700 in a typical workout. Crazy. I feel so inadequate!

·
Registered
707 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
A_N_S... are you aware you burn around 2000 a day just by existing? so you're looking at 2700-3300 a day ;)
I see... Anyway... I wouldn't get too obsessed with calorie counting. Just be sensible, and if you're running regularly it will happen. PLUS BMI doesn't take in to account lean mass, as I'm sure many people say... so really it might say you're like overweight or whatever, but you're probably not. My BMI is like 24.5 which is almost overweight... but I feel fine. I could lose lots of weight, but I am losing weight slowly, like a lb a week maybe, but yeah... I'm past the point of being THAT bothered. I'm a size 8-10 and fit nicely into all my dresses and pretty clothes, so I feel fine. Do you feel unhealthy and like your weight is holding you back in your running, rich?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't feel unhealthy or unfit at all, but I do feel my weight is holding me back with my running. I know i'd be capable of more if I wasn't having to carry so much weight around the bloomin course with me! lol.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I don't think you are eating enough, dropping 500 cals a day is quite alot, there could be an element of the body going into starvation mode, or could be you are toning and muscle weighs more than fat, if you are running/exercising regularly I would eat all my calorie in take.

losing 1 - 2lb per week is normal, with or without exercise. You may have a slower metabolic rate than others?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Richard, I read this with interest as I'm in a similar boat in that my exercise level is a LOT more than it used to be, my calorie intake is less and yet I'm not really losing any weight.

However, I am getting a LOT fitter.

I'm not a biologist but I would say that even with this "starvation mode" thing, if you are using more than you are putting in then it has to come from somewhere doesn't it??

I mean the extra energy has to be found somewhere in your body so I would expect it to come from the fat. Therefore.. you'll probably find that you are getting denser (in a nice way) by building up muscle and that this is giving you a false reading on the scales...

That's what I'm thinking is happening to me.

Maybe weigh yourself less and just concentrate on enjoying your running etc..

12st 8lb is nowhere near over-weight for your height.

Don't worry about it mate, yer a fine figure of a man!! The only person who thinks yer overweight is probably you..

;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your input everyone... I think after reading everyones i've noted that I need to relax a little and make sure I'm fuelling my runs and exercise a little better. Had a fantastic run tonight with the club I went out with the 'bigger boys' and ended up running almost 8 miles, with 10k of it in a minute slower than my 10k PB! I've not managed to run that close to a PB before in training!

Johnny T, just for your info, I've read that when the body goes into starvation mode it deliberately holds on to fat stores and starts to burn muscle for energy :( Far from ideal!

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Thanks for your input everyone... I think after reading everyones i've noted that I need to relax a little and make sure I'm fuelling my runs and exercise a little better. Had a fantastic run tonight with the club I went out with the 'bigger boys' and ended up running almost 8 miles, with 10k of it in a minute slower than my 10k PB! I've not managed to run that close to a PB before in training!

Johnny T, just for your info, I've read that when the body goes into starvation mode it deliberately holds on to fat stores and starts to burn muscle for energy :( Far from ideal!
Hi Richard Some people cut out one food group for example carbohydrate they then exercise hard and loose weight but what happens then is your body over time is lacking the correct nutrients and begins to literally eat your muscles especially the heart .

This can lead in extreme cases to the person dropping dead sobering thought eh!

I know this isn't applicable to you but your body needs to be fuelled for excersice

take it easy

cheriton

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, I suppose my saving grace is that I do make sure I eat a balanced diet with plenty of carbs, proteins, vitamins and nutrients etc... just not enough of them!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
get them in you man :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yup eat eat eat! You must feel hungry all the time :( Today is the first day I've actually felt hungry for... forever. Like all day. I don't understand :( I ate the same as usual! The only real difference is that when I bought my sandwich at lunch I didn't notice that it was on white bread - I usually go for brown. Anyway, I had my mid-afternoon banana, and I'm just really hungry... and I'm stuck in the lab til late before I can go for a run and I'm gunna miss yoga class. Stupid supervisor :( Ahwell... I can do yoga at home.

·
Registered
199 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
Christ!!! Never knew that...

The body's a wonderful thing but I think that it might benefit sometimes from a long sit down discussion with the brain... :d

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just make sure you fill up with lots of fruit and veg!!

Are you getting enough proteins and carbs? Make sure you are having a range of lean meat, poltry, seafood

AND a couple of portions of oily fish a week (Salmon, Trout, Mackerel, Herring, Sardines, Pilchards, Kipper or Swordfish) Although I will forgive you if you dont fancy the kipper!

My husband has been trying to lose weight but wasnt doing very well.

When he wrote down what he ate (and he said he was never hungry and felt like he was getting enough) it didnt really add up to that much, therefore your body will keep a hold of it and not let you lose weight (spoilsport!)

Try not to fall into the trap of eating the same things week in, week out, as your body gets used to it (a bit like training) Try to vary your diet and try new low fat recipes and make sure you eat breakfast!!

Hope this is helpful

The Minx

1 - 20 of 31 Posts