Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any forumites want to see a real spectacle in the beautiful surroundings of the Yorkshire Dales, get yourselves up to Horton in Ribblesdale on Saturday, 26th April for the 54th running of the Three Peaks race. This year it incorporates the World Hill Running Championship and has attracted 902 entries from 21 countries. The race starts at 10am.
It's too far for me to run nowadays but in my prime it was my favourite race, a real test of speed, stamina and skill in coping with the ups and downs of rough country. Such is the aura and prestige of this race, from the very start it became my number one objective. It's one of the oldest classic fell races covering 24 miles with 4,500ft of ascent.
Cheers!
PS. I don't suppose any forumites are running it this year, are they? Just curious!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Out of my range at the moment Foxy.

Will keep it in mind for the future.

Probably as a spectator,rather than a runner.................:d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve said:
Wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime...perhaps next year.
It's not as easy as that Steve. For most fell races you can just go and enter on the day. Not so the 'Peaks'. You have to get at least three long qualifying races in for them to assess your suitability before accepting your entry. Entries normally open round about 1st January each year and by the middle of January the race is full! I believe entries are limited to around 450 - but that number has been doubled this year for the Championship.
So you'd have to do your qualifying races THIS YEAR and make sure you have an entry form to hand by the beginning of January next year.
Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts