Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am generally fit - attend the gym, taekwondo and cycle. When I run a short distance I quickly get an intense ache in the lower centre throat. I don't get it during any other sport.

I stops me from running as the pain gets so much and then I can feel it hurting for a coupld of hours afterwards.

Any thoughts anyone?

Sue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Painfulthroat

I worked as a medical secretary in ENT for many years (though I would never claim to be an expert or a doctor) and I would suggest you get this checked out by your GP best to get things checked out early not only for peace of mind but also to get the right advice. Have you had any other symptoms?

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Fat woman is right go and get it checked out sue

there is a website with some info on this condition ,

askmetafilter.com then link to my toublesome trachea

hope this helps sue
take it easy;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I know what you are suffering from

If the pain is in the lower part of the esophagus and you only get it when you run, it is probably GER, which is Gastroesophageal Reflux. I know this from experience. I have this pain pretty much every time I run and I went to the ENT and told him what happened. He checked my throat and found that I had acid in it. This is caused by acid reflux. It can occur when running, pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter becomes lower, and acid from the stomach can be released into the esophagus. This causes a burning sensation in the throat. You may also notice gooey mucus in your spit. This is also the cause. I recommend taking some high strength antacids before running and maybe additionally taking Zantac or some other acid inhibitor. Also eating greasy foods, chocolates, mints, and taking in caffeine exacerbate symptoms. Try to eat light before a run and don't eat for 3 hours before running. Also its important not to wear clothing that is too tight, as that can also contribute to acid reflux. Good luck on solving the problem. If what I told you to do does not work then its time to see a doctor. DO NOT ignore the pain. DO NOT try to keep running. If the esophagus suffers too much damage it can lead to more serious problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts