Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes I Have!!!!
My second ever run outside I went for a run along the shore, I thought I knew where I was going and kept running.... ended up I had to ring my husband for directions on how to get out of the woodland which I had found myself in!!! The family joke now is I am getting Sat Nav for Xmas to strap on my back...ha ha very funny

·
Registered
231 Posts
I want a sat nav for Christmas too. But you'll need to convice your family of the Garmins - at least they just strap to your wrist, not your back.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I have, on a number of occasions... mainly due to my female brain having no sense of direction...in fact if someone asked me what direction I was facing right now I'd say toward the computer :confused:

My most famous 'getting lost' incident was during my first running career back in the 80's.
We were visiting friends who lived in Leicestershire and I just went out for a little 3 mile run round the block.

Nearly 2 hours later I was in a phone box trying to get my friends phone number from directory enquiries so they could come and rescue me.

We retraced my route in the car later, partly to give everyone a huge laugh at my expense and partly to work out how far I'd been... it turned out to be about 13 miles :embarrassed:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not a tale of getting lost exactly.... but I did have to ask directions in a race this year - on the first lap of the huge Orpington Marathon I hadn't seen a marker for a few minutes and wasn't sure I was on the right road, so I had to ask someone who was out doing some gardening...

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My story relates to a marathon training run with she who must be obeyed. As normal swmbo considered the OS map before going out and got the route implanted in her head....I had a look at the map but as swmbo was sure of the route that's all I did.
(Schoolboy error admitted!)
We were staying in a [email protected] and the night before we told the landlady we wouldn't be about for breakfast hoping she might say she'd leave something out for us on our return..she didn't!
So at about 8am we set out along the road, and then over hill and dale....without the map. Needless to say we soon took a wrong turn in a woodland section and got completely lost running across fields of cattle, aiming for the sound of a road.

The plan had been to do a 20 miler/3 hour run so when we got to 3 hours we stopped. By this time we were close to a road but had no idea what road it was. We began to walk and reached the road in a few minutes. There were no signs to assist so swmbo confidently guessed left...naturally we found that to be wrong when we came across a sign on the road which forced an expletive or two and an about turn!

Luckily the road took us back into town. By this time the sun was over the yardarm and we were frazzled. I had some change on me and as we got to the town square went straight to an ice cream van and bought us a couple of ices.

It had taken us 1 hour 20 mins to walk from where we'd had to turn around in the road. By the time we got back to the [email protected] another 20 mins had passed and it was nearing 1pm.

The only good thing about the day was that it had been dry and not wet!

Funny thing is up until recently I still relied on swmbo sorting out our directions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts