Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to wonder if changing the time of day I run would be worth a try? I currently run after work but because my OH likes to eat when we get home I usually dont get out until gone 7pm and by then I'm starting to long for the sofa!

I'm thinking of getting up 30 mins early tomorrow and going out about 6am for a change, anyone else run early mornings? do you enjoy it?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
SWMBO likes to run first thing...I don't and prefer either just before lunch or early evening.

Early am runs are called for when it is hot though.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I ran a couple of early mornings before but I found myself rushing back to get home, have my breakfast, have a shower and then catch the train. I felt good when I got to work but it was a rush. I tend to go out as soon as I get home and the OH just waits :d I tend to get home about 6pm and I go for an hours run so home by 7pm and some night the OH doesnt get home til then anyway.

Give it a go and see how you get on, it might suit you better.

O.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
give it a go you might like it, I have done it from time to time and find it sets me up for the day, but I do struggle to get out of bed.

One thing I would suggest make sure you have your running gear ready to whizz on makes it more appealing to get out then, nothing worse than scrabbling around for your gear first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmm I'm new to all this so I'm still trying to find what works for me, I'll drag myself out of bed tomorrow and see what happens! if I dont like it I dont have to do it again!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to run late afternoon or early evening. I hate morning runs .... I'm definately not a morning person and just don't seem to have the energy first thing. I've tried to run in the morning a few times but it just doesn't work for me ... takes me longer to warm up too!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Another one for evenings during the week and early at weekends.

I refuse to get up any earlier during the week and at weekend enjoy the day more knowing it is done.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I run late afternoon or early evening during the week, and late morning on saturdays and sundays. I like morning runs once I'm 3 or 4 miles in, and love the fact it sets me up for the day, but I just don't have the motivation to do it when I get up, so rarely do it. I often wake up slightly depressed, so it would require a big effort to get out and run in that state of mind.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I prefer evenings or afternoons if I can...but here it is getting into the 30s temperature wise and humidity is high! So anytim of day - even 6am means you sweat sweat sweat!!

I run evenings during the week and 5am on saturday morning - (not my choice...sort of)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I always run mornings If fact Im on my way out of the door right now

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I stuck to my word and got up at 6am for a jog.....and I really enjoyed it! I just jogged a mile around town to see what it would be like and I feel great. I didnt like the sweaty feeling that lingered even after my shower but almost an hour later I'm fine now.

I dont think I'll do early mornings all the time but its nice to know its an option for me

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
The only way I can avoid the sweaty feeling is to wait until I have stopped before going for the shower. This adds 20 or so minutes and makes weekday morning runs too rushed.

Glad you enjoyed it. You are set up for the day now and have all that extra time this evening.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Good to hear you stuck to it! I was amazed how early I woke up this morning, I feel great but didnt go for a run :)
Think I will have tonight off and chill in front of the PC, saying that, I might head home and just feel like running....just can never tell :)

O.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm another in the weekday evenings and weekend mornings camp of running. This though isn't down to any particular preference more a matter of logistics with the kids/dog walks etc.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm at work now and feeling a little sleepy so I dont know if this is something I wil do again. I have next week off so I will be lucky enough to go jogging when I want!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
glad you enjoyed it, good going for getting up :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hehe, morning runs are awesome. I like the freshness of the air in the mornings. My "work" is fairly flexible, so I can get away with a 6 mile run in the mornings, which is fine because I tend to do most of my speedwork in the gym midweek afterwork, just so I can head straight to yoga or pilates class afterwards. Plus I don't like that feeling where I'm in the lab really late and have that annoying stressful feeling that at some point I need to fit in a run BEFORE whatever I have planned for the evening. Weekend long runs are always first thing in the morning so I have time to stretch, shower and head in to town to have lunch/coffee with friends/get into the labs and work. It all kind of depends when I run I guess... but I MUCH prefer mornings. Winter mornings.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I'm at work now and feeling a little sleepy so I dont know if this is something I wil do again. I have next week off so I will be lucky enough to go jogging when I want!
I do not believe you are sleepy because of a one hour run.

More likely it is because you didn't go to bed early enough to offset the early start. :p

Have a lovely day.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I run evenings, except at the weekend when it tends to be late sat morning, and whenever I feel like it on Sun...

I'd like to start running twice daily at some point which would obviously mean an early start - though I'd use it as my early run for the day. Morning runs are supposedly better for weightloss too, which can only be a bonus! :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts