Runners Forum banner

How long off running? Not rest days/Tapering!!

• 1-3 days

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • 4-7 days

• 1-2 weeks

• 2-4 weeks

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 4-8 weeks

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Never taken time off.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest amount of time you have had off running when not injured?

Did the rest do you good?

Did you return refreshed and keen?

Did you regret the rest?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I took a week off from jogging when I was mega busy and stressed at work. I started again this Monday and dont feel any worse for it. Dont want to make a habit of it though!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I put 4 - 8 weeks, I have easily taken this amount of time off when not injured, I was keen on return and felt refreshed, but you do forget that you can't do the previous pace you was capable of and have to work hard to get back to where you were, but I have always found running to be one of the most progressive sports where you see results fairly quickly if you put in the hard work.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
think i've taken up to 2 weeks off through just getting a bit lazy with my training, that hasn't happened about a year or so though...

I was forced to have a couple of weeks rest not long ago (not through injury) and I hated it... was so keen and eager to get back into running and just felt incredibly frustrated that I'd lost fitness.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Had a few off and on problems with injuries which forced me to take time off so when I've been fit have made the most of it - so only had 4 days off at most when other things cropped up.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I seemed to have run non stop for 2 years so I WILL take 2 weeks off after Davos at the end of July...I will...definately....

·
Registered
466 Posts
3 days for me. Actually I had 3 days off pretty recently and came back feeling sluggish and like I couldn't run at all. I don't think I'll ever understand how the body works.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doh..............sorry Steve didnt read it properly, misread the "when NOT injured" and put 4-8 weeks can U cancel my entry ?
Don't know if I can edit a poll entry..........shall see

I can and have.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I quite often have a week off, I work shifts and if I'm just too fatigued to enjoy it I don't see the point. I usually find that the first run back after a week off is ok, its the one after that that's hard work.
I think if I worked nine to five I'd hardly do any running at all!

·
Registered
72 Posts
More than two days and I start getting Grumpy and snappy with everyone around me.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If I have more than two days off from running it feels like a lifetime and I start getting itchy feet and just need to get out and break into a run.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Know the feeling...I'll be stir crazy during my 2 weeks off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts