Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you owned the TARDIS and could travel back in time what athletic event would you have like to have witnessed first hand/competed in?:d

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would travel back to 1989: I won the scottish youths 400m indoor title that year, but took up smoking, drinking and skipping training not long after and subsequently trailed in 6th in the outdoor title later in the year, then gave up running all together. My biggest regret. If I had my time again knowing how that feels it may well have been a different story.........

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow, Boab, that question touched a nerve in you. It's funny how most of us get to a later stage of our lives and have some or other regret about a seemingly small act (at the time) in our youth, but which turned out to put our lives onto a completely different pathway.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Karen said:
Wow, Boab, that question touched a nerve in you. It's funny how most of us get to a later stage of our lives and have some or other regret about a seemingly small act (at the time) in our youth, but which turned out to put our lives onto a completely different pathway.
Karen suppose it did touch a nerve. I wouldn't say that my life went a completely different path, I still finsished school, went to University, and now have, in my eyes anyway, a good job. That was always the plan, but I have only recently discovered running again. I had a great time in my late teens and 20's, I wouldn't change any of that, but starting smoking was my biggest regret. I am sure all ex smokers would say the same.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mmm - I meant it innocently enough. Me, I was too scared to approach my Dad about what I really wanted to study at Uni when I was 17, and hence studied something completely different. That led to an altogether different sort of career, a burnout, a change of life (and husband), a different country, and hence a completely different (but now immensely good) life.

And all I'd wanted to be in the first place was a vet. But being a vet is a very vocational sort of career, rather than what I ended up doing, which was corporate with loads of money involved. Sadly, the burnout involved another change of career, and a subsequent loss of loads of money. But a happier me.

Funny old thing, life.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Karen said:
Funny old thing, life.
Isn't it just! One minute you have 2 rabbits next minute you have 8!

Would have been good to be part of the scene in early 1980s when Coe/Ovett kept breaking 800m/1500m/1mile world records.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Steve said:

Would have been good to be part of the scene in early 1980s when Coe/Ovett kept breaking 800m/1500m/1mile world records.
Agree Steve, but I couldn't have done the haircuts.;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being somewhat lacking in that department, even then, meant that wasn't an issue for me Boab!
There must be a question for me to put some time out of that thought....

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I always remember watching Zola Budd, please remind me she did run with no running shoes didn't she (hope I didn't dream it)? :confused: You couldn't imagine an athelete doing that now...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Steve said:

Would you secretly have liked a top hat as well as a tardis Steve?

So many events to choose from!

I would've liked to have witnessed the 4min/mile barrier being broken for the first time.
Something that is so much more achievable these days.(Not by me of course)!
It makes me also wonder what the future holds,so perhaps a journey ahead would be included in my trip aswell.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's magic indeed but of the Tommy Cooper variety!

The 4min mile would have been good to witness as you say...doing 6mins is about the best I can do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts