Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a 10 mile run at race pace this evening and just missed out on a PB by about 30 seconds. finished just outside 65 minutes, which was a bit of a bummer, but it felt good. I have had a couple of crappy weeks running. Haven't had much energy, struggled runnning even 5 or 6 miles at a pretty moderate pace. But tonight I suddenly felt alive again. Weather was perfect. Cold, slight wind and little rain shower half way through. Perfect. Now I've just stuffed my face with pork chops, fries and carrot and swede mash :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
nice one .
I got the exact same feeling tonight as well. Was away on holiday for 2 weeks and had stopped running completely . Finally got my mileage back up and I went out tonight and set a really good 10K time. Weather was perfect down here as well. Exactly the same .

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Man! Thats a good pace! 10miles in 65mins! Well done JB!

Ive just done a 6.2 mile run in 55mins with the club....I can only dream of running at that pace...maybe one day :) Then my 1/2 Marathon times would be well below the 2 hour mark :)

O.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
As i'm sure you know, 30seconds is nothing... and since you say it's your first 'decent' run for a while, it won't be long before you nail a new PB :cool:

You could always enter a race to give you a goal to aim for? :p

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As i'm sure you know, 30seconds is nothing... and since you say it's your first 'decent' run for a while, it won't be long before you nail a new PB :cool:

You could always enter a race to give you a goal to aim for? :p
Yes, Yes. I know. My New Year's resolution will be to race :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One interesting thing was I weighed myself before I ran tonight, and I was 12 stone 2 lbs (been eating a lot of crap the last week and had eaten a big lunch today). When I ran my PB i was around 11 stone 9 lbs (my average weight). So it seems the extra weight didn't make that much difference. So Richard, maybe you are investing too much in the idea that losing a few lbs is going to significantly improve your running :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Or... perhaps you're actually faster now, and if you'd kept off the pork pies you'd have been 30secs under your PB ;) I'm fairly confident there's a reason why most elite athletes don't weigh a great deal :p

I'll look forward to your first race report JB :)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
JB, there is a 5k race round Arthurs seat on the 10th January, good way to kick start the new year. I think Im going to enter it later today, sounds like a good race. The BUPA Great Winter Race.

edit: Just found entry isnt open yet but you can pre-register for the race, which I have just done.

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
JB, there is a 5k race round Arthurs seat on the 10th January, good way to kick start the new year. I think Im going to enter it later today, sounds like a good race. The BUPA Great Winter Race.

edit: Just found entry isnt open yet but you can pre-register for the race, which I have just done.

O.
Thanks for that. I would definitely give that one a go. I love the Arthur's Seat runs.

I have just pre-registered :) This might be my first ever race. How exciting. Probably good to start my racing career with an easy 5k!

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
The strange this is it says on the site that you can now book an early bird priced ticket for £19 but there is no obvious order button. Only the pre-register button.....might call them and see what the deal is.

O.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well 30 secs off a pb is still a very good run .....so annoying though!

Reckon you'll beat it next time with a bit more training/fitness...would love to be able to get a 10m pb as good as that!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well 30 secs off a pb is still a very good run .....so annoying though!

Reckon you'll beat it next time with a bit more training/fitness...would love to be able to get a 10m pb as good as that!

Well you're not far off a 65min time. You only need to shave off a couple of minutes, although I know how difficult that can be.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well you're not far off a 65min time. You only need to shave off a couple of minutes, although I know how difficult that can be.
It's quite an old 10m pb though.
Still I've cracked a lot of pbs in the last year or so and have a 10m race in Nov...shame it's a hilly one!

You never know though.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It's quite an old 10m pb though.
Still I've cracked a lot of pbs in the last year or so and have a 10m race in Nov...shame it's a hilly one!

You never know though.
I got a 10k PB in my last race and it was hilly so you do never know!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
One interesting thing was I weighed myself before I ran tonight, and I was 12 stone 2 lbs (been eating a lot of crap the last week and had eaten a big lunch today). When I ran my PB i was around 11 stone 9 lbs (my average weight). So it seems the extra weight didn't make that much difference. So Richard, maybe you are investing too much in the idea that losing a few lbs is going to significantly improve your running :p
haha, touche :d

i think more long runs can decrease your 10 mile time, it worked for me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts