Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Ok this may be a little long so bear with me as it will give all the info so you can give a better response.

I have pretty much 6 months from now to get my running time down to 3.2k's in 13.50 minutes this test is set on a 400metre track so 8 laps in effect. However like many of you the achievement is to get well below the required time limit so a 13 flat or sub 13 would be ideal this leaves me with 1.35 minute lap times for a flat 13 or there about correct me if i am wrong please.

I am currently doing a lap in around 1.45 moving to 2.05 minutes so starts quick and time stretches. worst time is currently 18 minutes (avg 2.15 a lap) overall which i have already cut 3 minutes in the last 3 weeks (was a dismal 21 minutes) as a result of running 3 times a week at the moment. Yes I am just getting back into running and now can comfortably do a 5ker however its upping the speed.

Some years back I was doing a specific type of training that included heart rate monitored sessions and found that in a 12 week period my speed went through the roof then life got in the way (first born etc)

See below a minute snippet off the program which i still have. these are just two of many specific runs amongst swims gym etc.

RUN
15 mins easy pace
10 mins with HR at 150-160BPM
15 mins easy pace

RUN
10 min easy pace
15 min with HR at 150-160 BPM
2 X 2 min efforts with HR at 165-175 BPM (2-min recov b/w each)
10 min easy pace

Over the weeks it progresses higher with the efforts.

Anyway so i'm showing as much i guess that i can show from different angles to you all and yes i am at this point stripping weight to assist a better time and obviously a higher level of fitness. (10Kg's to be exact) and age is 34 and i'm to a degree doing a little fartlek but i come seeking guidance to get the best result in the time frame that I have.

I do appreciate your time. i re-read this before posting it and had a quiet chuckle and hoping you can say i can be helped (somewhat). :p

yes it's just one of a portion of a pre entry to a specific job. the remainder is not a issue its the running part that i need to get squared away.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
for a change I'm actually a little busy atm, lol, so without into a detailed response, I think there's some scope to be running at higher intensities... some sessions where you're hitting 180bpm would help you.

Since you're targeting a short distance, I would try and focus on shorter distances, higher intensity in your training runs (or at least some of them!).

Hopefully others will be able to offer some advice, but if not I'll come back when I get a chance ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I've just spotted your worst time is 18mins... more importantly - what's your BEST time??

Also, what does your usual training week look like? Not necessarily in detail, but it would just be interested to see what activities you do one which days, how many times a week you run etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the 18 mins is the best time at the moment worst was 21min so ive cut a chunk off.

pretty much at the moment ive been doing a couple of days at 5k steady pace then broken into another two days of 2k each alternating with sprint and jogs 300 and 100/ im not looking at a quick fix obviously 6 - 7 months seems an ample amount of time to bring the time down im looking for different ideas to work with that can or have shown better results.

thanks again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Whats the Job your going for???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts