Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I know this sounds like a stupid question but I was wondering if anyone could give me some kind of realistic target. At the moment I can run a 10K in 62 minutes and am training 5 times a week (following a 10K programme which I should finish by the end of the 1st week of June). If I keep training after that how much can I expect my time to have improved by by the end of June and what kinds of things can I do to improve it? Sorry if this is an impossible question but I'd appreciate any ideas, thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
How long have you been running Jonesy? If your new to running you'll find that with regular training you can knock quite a lot off your times.

Can I also ask how old you are? What kind of physical shape are you in?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, assuming 62 mins is in training, expect your 10k race time to be much faster. My first 10k race (after 3 months training) was 6mins30 faster than I had ever run in training.
4 months after this, my 10k race time is probably 4 to 5 minutes faster still.

·
Registered
419 Posts
jonesy said:
What kinds of things can I do to improve it?
Following a training plan will see you improve loads - especially if you:
- put in the miles for a weekly long run
- put in the odd fast tempo run
- put in some intervals and some hill training
- train with other people as well as on your own
- put in some extra races - it's only when you race that you actually find out what your current limits are!

Good luck! Hope you have fun!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Good point on the extra races. Training is actually not a great indicator of form. Decide on your key races, ie the ones you will train to peak at, and then throw in a few more as a way to gauge whether your training is on track.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips Hollywood - I'm coming close to finishing the programme soon so I will put your suggestions of long runs/intervals etc into practice on my own then. I've got a race coming up next weekend too so I'll have to see if you're both right about getting a better time in race conditions than in training..will see how it goes :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
jonesy said:
Thanks for the tips Hollywood - I'm coming close to finishing the programme soon so I will put your suggestions of long runs/intervals etc into practice on my own then. I've got a race coming up next weekend too so I'll have to see if you're both right about getting a better time in race conditions than in training..will see how it goes :cool:
Let us know how you get on jonesy, it's always good to hear what training works for people.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts