Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post/thread so i'll say hi.

I did my first 10k at the end of september, on a hill Preston (Lancashire) course with a time of 41:53.

Im now working towards a flatter (if thats a word:p) course that i can hopefully smash my PB.
Although it would be an increase of about 7 minutes, im guna give it a go.

So can anyone give me some tips on how to really improve my time.

Ta.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Knocking 4-7 minutes off your 10k time is a lot. It will take time. What is your current training regime? Often to get faster you need to increase weekly mileage and add some interval training. I think your first goal should be to break 40 minutes. Once you have done than focus on sub 39, then sub 38 etc. Sub 37 and sub 36 really is geting into hardcore territory and I imagine requires a hell of a lot of hard training.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I agree with JB, although you do have age on your side Al

I'd still focus on breaking 40 minutes first, warm up really well, don't go off too fast, and gradually pick up the pace.
Have courage to step out of your comfort zone, believe you can do it but don't stress about it if it doesn't happen on the day. There are many more 10ks

As for training...as most people on here know, I'd recommend specific hill training.
That's not just running a hilly route... it's hill reps. Run hard up for 200 to 300m and jog down.... 10 to 14 reps.

Others will advocate interval training, personally it doesn't work for me, but it probably will for you.

A mixture of hill training and interval training...maybe alternate weeks...along with general and easy running mileage is the best plan for you I reckon

Good luck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Knocking 4-7 minutes off your 10k time is a lot. It will take time. What is your current training regime? Often to get faster you need to increase weekly mileage and add some interval training. I think your first goal should be to break 40 minutes. Once you have done than focus on sub 39, then sub 38 etc. Sub 37 and sub 36 really is geting into hardcore territory and I imagine requires a hell of a lot of hard training.
He's only 18 though. I managed to knock that much time off my 10k time in a few months, admittedly being much older, slower and from a base of almost total non fitness.

If 41:53 is his first effort on a hilly course, maybe some hardcore training will see - well who knows!

I suppose it depends on how much training it took to get the 41:53, if it was just a jog round without too much intense training, then I guess the possibility is there for 35 or even better with the right training :cool:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ah. I didn't spot that he was 18. Wow, the possibilities are endless. But still, I think whatever your age, knocking off the minutes once you start getting down to low 40s and sub 40s become increasingly difficult. But that's why I asked what his existing training regime is. If he is doing minimal training and running 41 minutes, then yes he might be able to run a 35 or 36 with a bit more effort and training. I think he needs to do a 10k trial on a relatively flat course to get a better idea of where he is at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot, i agree that i need to bring my PB down gradually.
To get my 41:53 time, i actually didnt get that much training in.
I started running again in march this year after not doing any since i was in high school.
I was only managing to train once or twice a week because i was struggling with my knees.
And in the summer i was working down in shropshire with my dad (building work) so i was too tired at the end of the day to run.
So i only got 100 miles in since march, and i hadnt run for 20 days when i did my race.

So i suppose if i got 20-30 miles in a week i'd have a fair chance to smash my time.
I do struggle with bad knees and tight muscles so that could hamper my training, and also my legs are rubbish at recovering.:(

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Thanks alot, i agree that i need to bring my PB down gradually.
To get my 41:53 time, i actually didnt get that much training in.
I started running again in march this year after not doing any since i was in high school.
I was only managing to train once or twice a week because i was struggling with my knees.
And in the summer i was working down in shropshire with my dad (building work) so i was too tired at the end of the day to run.
So i only got 100 miles in since march, and i hadnt run for 20 days when i did my race.

So i suppose if i got 20-30 miles in a week i'd have a fair chance to smash my time.
I do struggle with bad knees and tight muscles so that could hamper my training, and also my legs are rubbish at recovering.:(
Jesus! You ran a 41:53 10k after only running a 100 miles since March? That is impressive. Clearly you have great natural ability. I think if you started training at 20-30 miles a week you could easily run a 36/37, and if you built up to 30-40 miles a week I think you could start aiming for sub 35s. God luck. Wish I could run as fast as you on such sporadic training :(

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Will be interesting to see how you go Al. Perhpaps if you do more mileage (gradually of course) your legs will get stronger as well as your times getting quicker.

Probably running that fast over 10k after not much training could be the problem with your knees and muscles - more mileage would improve recovery as well :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just need to get my legs to recover and then i'll be able to train hard.

I love running and im trying to get every1 i know to run haha, so hopefully i'll keep motivated.

I just need to get some road shoes for christmas because at the moment im running in asics trail shoes....but thats because i bought them because someone talked me into training for a race back in march.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
first, you need to run consistently...

second, you need to slowly build up the miles per week - takes a long time to do it properly...

third, you need to keep at it for a long time (which is the hardest part - requires a lot of dedication !!)...

few people do all three but even if you do then still it takes a long time to improve so you need to have a lot of patience...

i think that doing more regular miles every week is the most important part - not 'training hard'... speedwork sessions are mentally tough and it's very hard to suitain these whilst running a lot of miles per week... i think it's better not to do these if it'll mean that you will be consistent...

another thing - i think you should concentrate on short term goals that are realistic otherwise you'll feel like the all the running is getting you nowhere... you also need a lot of patience in this game... the problem is that the faster you get the harder it is to improve so bear that in mind for later...

i hope i havent put you off and good luck !..

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
first, you need to run consistently...

second, you need to slowly build up the miles per week - takes a long time to do it properly...

third, you need to keep at it for a long time (which is the hardest part - requires a lot of dedication !!)...

few people do all three but even if you do then still it takes a long time to improve so you need to have a lot of patience...

i think that doing more regular miles every week is the most important part - not 'training hard'... speedwork sessions are mentally tough and it's very hard to suitain these whilst running a lot of miles per week... i think it's better not to do these if it'll mean that you will be consistent...

another thing - i think you should concentrate on short term goals that are realistic otherwise you'll feel like the all the running is getting you nowhere... you also need a lot of patience in this game... the problem is that the faster you get the harder it is to improve so bear that in mind for later...

i hope i havent put you off and good luck !..
hear what you're saying, but varied training also keeps it interesting, so there's an arguement both sides :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
He's only 18 though. I managed to knock that much time off my 10k time in a few months, admittedly being much older, slower and from a base of almost total non fitness.
How's it all goin with the 10k lark RR? I've not been around for a bit - lack of t'internet. Also, just had "freshers' flu" since moving to Bath - talk about being knocked back to square 1!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
How's it all goin with the 10k lark RR? I've not been around for a bit - lack of t'internet. Also, just had "freshers' flu" since moving to Bath - talk about being knocked back to square 1!
For a moment there I thought you was talking to yourself LOL

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well this might be typical of running, but 3 weeks ago I was running my last 10k of the year for me on a hilly course and getting a fantastic PB (would have been sub 50 on a flat course!) and now I can hardly walk after picking up a hip problem on a 10 mile run last week :(

Also had stomach bug/food poisoning in between so I can relate to your square one situation.

I guess the other thing to keep on topic is, to improve your 10k time you need a good few months without injury or illness as either can set you back some way :'(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, i often get pains in my knees which may be to do with a number of things such as the shock/pounding, not letting them recover or because im still growing?.
I also struggle with tight muscles in my legs and i have massages in them to loosen them up every now and again.

My next 10k is in January so it give me quite some time to hopefully build on the miles and bring my time down.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Took me until this year to break 40mins barrier so good, constant and specific trining will get you to the times you want...eventually. Don't , er, run before you can walk though...aim for achievable targets.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Took me until this year to break 40mins barrier so good, constant and specific trining will get you to the times you want...eventually. Don't , er, run before you can walk though...aim for achievable targets.
I really hope he doesn't have a 27 year wait on his hands to knock the 1 min 53 seconds off :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts