Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tips for beginners. (Marathon, running, jogging)

Guys, because I am fond of running/jogging (but im a beginner), I would like to ask some tips about marathons because there is this event I want to join. There will be a marathon that will be held in the Philippines in January 20 2008. The event is called Subic Marathon.

Question:
I jog 30 minutes around the village every morning. Is that enough training? I wanna aim high and join the hardest and aim high so I decided to join the 42k run.

What further training do you recommend? this will be on January 2008, so I have 2 months or so for training.

Venue will be in Subic. There are already lots of interested/registered participants (as of the last I heard). They will be from all over the Philippines, Asia and other parts of the Earth.

For me, this is just not running. This is achieving something.

Just search google for " Subic Marathon 2008 " or just go to their website at subicmarathon (dot) com

By the way, $5,000 US dollars up for grabs. (Top Prize)

Hope you guys can help me on what I can do and what I need. thanks.

- Cheftonio

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Hi Cheftonio :)
You will have to increase your mileage if you want to complete a marathon and live to tell us all about it.
Try getting to 45 or 50 minutes a day and once a week go over 1 hour.
And then, on race day, for this first one, just aim to finish.
Next time, with better preparation, you may aim for a great time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fulmar said:
Hi Cheftonio :)
You will have to increase your mileage if you want to complete a marathon and live to tell us all about it.
Try getting to 45 or 50 minutes a day and once a week go over 1 hour.
And then, on race day, for this first one, just aim to finish.
Next time, with better preparation, you may aim for a great time.
Hmm..I think I can manage additional 30 minutes a day for that event. And yes, my goal is just to finish since im a newbie. Im gonna kill myself if I aim for a great time! :rolleyes:

thanks a lot for replying! im gonna read around for more tips (so I can finish! :p)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
:d yes!!! You finish that one and you'll get hooked!

When you get your number, let us know so that we can check your result online :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fulmar said:
:d yes!!! You finish that one and you'll get hooked!

When you get your number, let us know so that we can check your result online :)
Yes, will surely do.. I havent finished that one and im already feeling sooo hooked! :p

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I've just had a look at the website and at some photos of Subic... wow!!!
If only I had the money to travel to the other side of the World :rolleyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good luck with it. It looks totally amazing. Can you get out there a bit before the event? Don't forget it'll be a LOT warmer there in January than here. The heat makes a big difference I find. I can't do anything if it's too hot.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Definitely, take a lot of water in during the race!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason said:
Good luck with it. It looks totally amazing. Can you get out there a bit before the event? Don't forget it'll be a LOT warmer there in January than here. The heat makes a big difference I find. I can't do anything if it's too hot.
oh yea! i forgot! another enemy... the heat....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts