Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Hi...

I entered my first 10k race recently, and finished in 1 hour, 12 minutes.. only having reached that distance once before when i was on good form with training, but struggled a bit in this race, hadn't trained for about 3 weeks before this race.

i have signed upto another 10k in a months time, so to give me motivation to work towards it, but I keep giving into the pain barriers when I reach them and start walking.

are theyre any tips to help me get over these in my training? I didnt give into this in my race as easy, but its a different atmosphere than when youre on your own running.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
when you say pain... do you actually mean pain as in something particular is hurting, or do you mean exhaustion/tiredness/heaviness in your legs?

If it's the first example then you need to address that problem and find what's causing it.

If it's the second example, then that's fine... when you get to that stage in your run where you want to stop look ahead and find a marker...could be a lamppost, a tree, anything and tell yourself you're going to keep running until you get to that marker, then have a little break.

Each time you do this try and make the marker just a little bit further away.

Before you know it you'll be running further easier, and not needing to stop ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

I agree with Trinity .... running to a marker also gives you another focus and takes your mind off the pain a bit. Do you run with and ipod? If you find music with a good beat it can help with your motivation no end! :p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its definately the exhaustion/tiredness/heaviness that lets me down!

Sometimes it doesnt effect me as much especially when I train on the weekends, but i find in the evenings after work - I just really struggle, unless i give it a go in the mornings, (ouchy!) but if i find it tough in the evening it ruins my training ! (cant do it during lunch - we have no showers!)

But i'll work on the running towards markers for the time being.

Cheers :embarrassed:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts