Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy as it sounds but I've become too lazy to go gym...

It's more of an effort to go to the gym than go for a run so i just go running myself...

The thing is i've become totally obssessed and have run over 30 miles in the last two weeks...

Thing is that I don't want to get injured... so I was just wondering - what exercises would you recommend to stengthen muslces + prevent injuries ?

Cheers runners... :)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
You could get a set of dumbells for your garage/spare room - I think Argos sell easy-storage sets of dumbells.

You could do squats and calf raises for your legs; crunches and back extensions for your mid-section; pressups for you chest/arms/shoulders. You don't need weights for any of these, but the weights will let you train more body parts and add more exercises for variety.

·
Administrator
6,618 Posts
I know what you mean about the gym, I just dont like the thought of going to the gym and running on a treadmill for any longer than 30mins. The nights are getting lighter now and running outside is more enjoyable now the ice has gone from the ground!

Ive started to do pressups and situps to try and get some more upper body muscle, Im happy with my legs the way they are so don't do anything other than run with them :d

O.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Owain said:
I know what you mean about the gym, I just dont like the thought of going to the gym and running on a treadmill for any longer than 30mins. The nights are getting lighter now and running outside is more enjoyable now the ice has gone from the ground!
Thats one thing I never do in the gym now, run on a treadmill. Its a waste of a good run, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grant said:
You could do squats and calf raises for your legs; crunches and back extensions for your mid-section; pressups for you chest/arms/shoulders.
thanks Grant... i already have dumbells... i'll try + do the above for this week...

btw back extentions look fun ! :d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
bear in mind that weight exercises (particularly on the legs) will further fatigue the muscles if you don't allow enough rest time... all in all though, when done properly it should definately help to make you bullet proof ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts