Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread- Does anyone know the deal with Red bull?, some people i know swear by this before going out for a run, but im not too sure! or should i just stick with good ol' council pop? :):)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well as i lack in energy anyway i would not really know if this perks me up or not. :p

I have drank it before a race before, but it does repeat on you :lol:

I have a sports drink about hour before anyway.

I know a few on here have red bull

:p

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i usually find that it gives me really bad burps.. and not even the sort that taste nice.

personally i prefer to go for something like lucazade sport or at the very least something thats not gassy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I remember drinking it way too early once and feeling a bit like I was on an energy 'come down' for my race lol! I steer clear of it usually... still Lucozade Sport or Powerade or something usually...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I just drink water. Not sure I would want to load my system with a stimulant before running.

Having said that I can't wake up without two cups of coffee :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread- Does anyone know the deal with Red bull?, some people i know swear by this before going out for a run, but im not too sure! or should i just stick with good ol' council pop? :):)
All these energy drinks etc are a con as far ar i'm concerned,going back to the 60s & 70s when Ron Hill was in his pomp. He & the like never had such luxuries,he also had a full time job & managed 2.09 !! Only thing that makes you a better runner is to do more running,end of !

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I don't usually drink Red Bull on a normal run - I usually train at night, so want to be able to get to sleep afterwards.

I usually have a can of Red Bull and a banana before a race to give me a bit of an energy boost.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya Everyone, thanks for the replys, think you have just tld me what i was thinking already...gonna stay with good ol' council pop (thats water for those who arent sure what i meant- not sure if its just a northern saying!)! or if im in need of an energy burst just lucozade me thinks. thanks again guys. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use anything I can get to give me an advantage! Before my rn on Saturday I had a Lucozade carbo gel, 500 ml of Lucozade sport, 300 ml water and a red bull! still felt awful!

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I use anything I can get to give me an advantage! Before my rn on Saturday I had a Lucozade carbo gel, 500 ml of Lucozade sport, 300 ml water and a red bull! still felt awful!
Surely that tells you something? Did it give you the edge you desired?

I run and when I am thirsty I drink water. Seems to work and I never run out of energy (up to 12 miles)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
pffft. these energy drinks are a waste of money. You only really need extra energy for the last 6 miles of a marathon. Then I can see the point of taking on some gels or an energy drink of some kind. For any distance below that I really can't see how anybody would need something like this. It baffles me. I think people use these drinks as some kind o psychological security blanket. Hey, maybe that is where their power lies?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Normally I just take water on my runs but when doing my weekly long (well for me it is) run I always take a bottle of Lucozade Sport. I really don't know if it makes a difference or not, but its just something I started doing, maybe it is a psycholgical thing (I also prefer the taste!).

I have tried gels a couple of times on long runs, mainly out of curiosity and to see if they agree with me or not, as wouldn't want to try any 'live-proving' of these substances in the middle of a marathon, only to find they disagree with me. :'(

I do have to say though I did notice a distinct benefit when using them, with a definate increase in energy levels a while after consumption.

Never tried Red Bull before a run though, and not sure whether I would as it seems to give an immediate effect\high rather than a gradual\sustainable energy uplift which would be more appropriate for running.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think a lot of the time its the placebo effect.. the self belief that its helping/ doing something

i use SIS Go when playing squash which in my mind helps me to play better... whether it does or not is a nother matter.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have read that a cup of coffee an hour before you run is supposed to give you energy or a boost at least anyway, I actually do this now with no ill effect.

Instead of water sometimes I will take squash to drink on a run which helps give a suger boost and on longer runs sometimes I might take lucozade tablets if I am feeling tired.

It's all trial and error to find out what you like.

:d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I think if I tried red bull before a run it'd soon be coming back up once I got going :sick:

A reasonable diet and water will be enough to see you up to the 1hr 30min mark whilst out on your runs, beyond that you could do with replenishing carb stores as you go.

I'm very sceptical about the benefits of caffeine when running, it's a diuretic which can interfere with your uptake of water and hydration levels (though I've no idea to what extent) and i've can't remember reading any studies that suggest it improves performance/times over a set distance, only that subjects of studies are able to run a bit further before exhaustion! lol.

Personally I'd be paying more attention to my hydration levels and making sure I've got enough water on board rather than carbs. I remember reading something like being 5% dehydrated can reduce running performance by as much as 20%! (not sure what these percentages are based on, but the numbers look scary! lol). Less water in the body means a lower volume of blood, therefore less blood pumped by the heart, and less oxygenated blood reaching the muscles, therefore you'll end up running slower ;)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Surely that tells you something? Did it give you the edge you desired?

I run and when I am thirsty I drink water. Seems to work and I never run out of energy (up to 12 miles)
I usually run out of energy around that point too - on the odd occasion I run further than that, I find supplements usually help.

It just goes to show that supplements aren't the cure - they're just a supplement to what you are already doing.

Still, I think my pre-race can of Red Bull gives me a mental boost, even if its just a placebo effect.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I usually run out of energy around that point too - on the odd occasion I run further than that, I find supplements usually help.

It just goes to show that supplements aren't the cure - they're just a supplement to what you are already doing.

Still, I think my pre-race can of Red Bull gives me a mental boost, even if its just a placebo effect.
Sorry, I meant 12 miles is as far as I have run. I have done it twice. Both times I was tired in the legs, but that is to be expected. I am still not fit. The first time I suffered as I had no water. The second time I had water and supped about 300ml through the distance. This made a huge difference as both runs were done late morning on hot days.

I dont eat before running and only have something when I get home if I feel hungry. Often have a glass of milk though

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get puffed after about 1.2 miles as well :d I did read an article in the Times a couple of weeks back regarding the use of bicarbonate of soda as a performance boosting aid, insomuch the alkalinity of the bicarb counteracts lactic acid buildup, not sure if this would help mere mortals like me though! A word of warning, most people are ok with a tea spoon or so but some suffer from an unwanted; shall we say purgative affect :worried: not good if you're a couple of miles from home.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've never drank red bull before running; in fact never drank it all (just the smell makes me ill).

I have used lucozade tablets in the past at octopush tournaments as a boost before games. Our coach would give us a tablet each before our last games (we would play 7 or so 20 minute games over 6 hours). I found that they made a big difference then, although they took ~10 minutes to work and then lasted for about 15. After that, felt more sluggish than before. I don't use them now because adult games are 30 :'( minutes long and it's not good to have an energy dip half way through a game.

I suspect that all these things work similarly, so depending on the distance you're running they'd either help (over short distances) or severely hinder (can't imagine an energy dip 15 minutes into a marathon would be much fun).

Suppose it all depends your personal situation/preference

1 - 20 of 33 Posts