Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Owain said:
Just wondering, is going out for an easy run (30 - 40mins) tomorrow to soon after the marathon?

O.
I'm assuming that you run the marathon today, but regardless of when, from my experience your legs will tell if you can go or not! You may feel OK now but tomorrow is most definitely another day

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
No right or wrong answer... it's a case of 'do you want to?' and 'are you able to?'.

I'm got some catching up to do on the threads so I assume I'll read about it somewhere, but I hope the marathon went well for you! :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've never ran a marathon, but my friends that have say that a short, easy run the following day has helped them loosen up their muscles and stop them getting stiff muscles. As long as you feel up to it and aren't in any pain, I can't see it being a problem. But I would suggest a very short run. say maybe 4 miles maximum.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Owain said:
Just wondering, is going out for an easy run (30 - 40mins) tomorrow to soon after the marathon?

O.
Personally I would say absolutely too early. The muscles in your legs have lots of little tears in them and they need time to repair. If you run today you will be delaying that repair and probably making them worse.

Opinions vary depending on what book you read but you should wait at least 3 days, and then only go out for 2 to 3 miles very very slowly.

I wait about a week before I go out again after a marathon. Sure I feel like I could run before that but I know what damage the marathon causes and I prefer to let my body heal.

Make sure you get lots of protein this week... more than usual, for repair.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Trinity,
I had decided not to go out today when I woke up due to the very thing you said.

I have just run a marathon and I should sit back and let my body recover.
The last thing I want to do is injure myself considering I have a 1/2 marathon at the end of next month.

Sure, I feel like I could run quite easily today, no real side effects from the marathon but my body needs time....so rest it is for the next couple of days and then I will be stronger than before :d

What are good sources of protein?

O.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Owain said:
Thanks Trinity,
I had decided not to go out today when I woke up due to the very thing you said.

I have just run a marathon and I should sit back and let my body recover.
The last thing I want to do is injure myself considering I have a 1/2 marathon at the end of next month.

Sure, I feel like I could run quite easily today, no real side effects from the marathon but my body needs time....so rest it is for the next couple of days and then I will be stronger than before :d

What are good sources of protein?

O.
The richest sources of protein are meat, fish, cheese and eggs. Plant proteins are also good and have a lower fat content. Good sources are beans (esp. soy beans), lentils, nuts, quorn and seeds.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Owain said:
Cheers!

Meat it is then :d

O.
Plenty of meat

Lots of Oily fish and even supplement with fish oil cod liver oil. This will act as a natural anti-inflammatory.

Leave the fat on your meat ect as this will also aid int the recovery process. Fats are anabolic (encourage repair and growth) in nature

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't wait until Monday, really looking forward to getting back out on the road and clocking up some miles again. I know I could probably go for a run this weekend but I want to have a full week off and then head out and get the running back underway.

It has been nice having a week of but I never thought I would miss running so much!

Does anyone else get like this?

O.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, went out tonight, a week after the marathon and it was brilliant. Took a new route aswell for a change which was good.

5.09miles in 47 mins 30secs.

Looking forward to Wednesdays run and then going to my first club meeting on Thursday :)

O.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good for you O.

Hope the club meet goes well.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive already met some of them at the Expo at Dunfermline 1/2 Marathon, they all seem a nice bunch.

I will let you know how I get on :)

O.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts