Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had one of the worst runs I've ever had. Set off for a 15.5 mile run well hydrated nourished. It was a hot day with the sun beating down, it took me about 3.5 miles to get into my stride which never bodes well. After getting into the swing of things everything seemed to be going well, after about 12 miles legs started getting a bit sore and with 3/4 of a mile to go it happened. It has never ever happened to my before but I hit the Wall I physically could not lift my legs to run and in the face of personal shame and feelings of inadequacy I had to walk for about 200 yards when I started running again it was like an old man. I finally finished in a time of 2:06:15 people can do an extra 11 miles in the same time. I knew things weren't going well when I had to turn my I-pod down as it was too loud. I've never had to do that, I'm only 28 music can't be too loud yet!!

I'm not sat on the settee at home with aching legs and a feeling of failure!

Poor Squint

·
Registered
466 Posts
Take great pride that you finished your allotted mileage. Others would have given up and walked home but you stuck it out and ran home.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It is through toughest training, whether actual or perceived, that we gain the most

and that's not what I've heard...it's what I've experienced

If you can drag yourself through a training run like that then you will have created a new level of physical and mental strength within you

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, running home would have taken even longer I was on a one way trip. I didn't even contemplate shortening my route as I'd have felt like I had really cheated myself. When I decide I'm going to do something I do it.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mrs Squint was less than impressed though see expected me to do it in around 1:25 my time for the shorter 11.5 mile route. Women

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Squint said:
I finally finished in a time of 2:06
Well I think that time is a really good time considering you felt rubbish, nothing to feel bad about at all!

Wish I could run that distance in that time.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Squint, there's no failure in what you experienced. It was "just one of those days". A bad day... It happens to everyone. Unfortunately it will undoubtably happen again at some point.
Many years ago, I was so bad during a run that I just lay down at the side of the road and went to sleep!:eek: I still had another 5 miles to do to get home. When I woke up and dragged myself off again, I had to go into a shop to beg for a glass of water just to keep me going for the last few miles.:embarrassed:

·
Registered
943 Posts
dimple said:
Wish I could run that distance in that time.
Wish I could run that distance OR run for that amount of time! Lol!

As everyone else has already said, just one of those days Squint! Just don't let it put a mark on the next run!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I can't get over that either, I can just see Pedestrian snoring at the side of the road, funny he wasn't picked up:d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've finally just accepted that some runs will be difficult for no apparent reason. Couple of weeks ago I ran 16.5 miles (furthest I'd ever run) in 2 hours dead and it felt very easy. On Saturday I did an easy 9 mile run. Then yesterday I struggled to complete a 4 mile run at a very easy pace. That's life, unfortunately.

·
Registered
298 Posts
All too familiar! :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
After my own experience yesterday.

I think I can truly say I know how you feel Squint.

It`s not good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
wow 3.5 miles to warm up! you've achieved so much, I just finished a 2 mile run and thought I was doing well lol - took every last bit to sprint the last bit to the finish.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
pedestrian said:
It was lovely. Nice patch of grass on a river bank:cool:

are you sure you wasn't a hedgehog in a previous life...looking for somewhere to hibernate ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Trinity said:
are you sure you wasn't a hedgehog in a previous life...looking for somewhere to hibernate ;)
Hmmm... Possible I suppose, but this was the middle of summer. Actually, It was on the wedding day of our future King and his ex-wife. I'd suffered all of the pre-gig hype, and there was no way that I was going to stay at home to endure an entire day of matrimonial hysteria. So I went running up into the hills of the South Pennines. All day. Weather was hot, and obviously I hadn't taken enough supplies to last me through the whole day in those conditions. Mid/late afternoon, I hit the wall. That's when I just lay down by the river and went to sleep for a while. (I believe that that's how hypothermia victims often die :( ).
Anyway, I did eventually manage to drag myself the rest of the way home, not really any the worse for wear. Overall, a really enjoyable and peaceful day. ;)

A hedgehog, you say? Well if I begin to be compelled to eat slugs and worms, I'll let you know. View attachment 498

·
Registered
835 Posts
I too remember falling asleep during that particular day ...... and waking up with a mega self inflicted headache! And surrounded by tulips I nicked from some old dears front garden :embarrassed:

'twas a very bizarre day

1 - 20 of 49 Posts