Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
About a month after joining this dark and dangerous forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always think the term`jogger` is used by people who neither run or jog, as a putdown.
Now, I`m just about to take the dog for a walk, I shall wear trainers and do a few short jogs while we are out. Later I shall put on shorts and `T` shirt and go for a run. The run will be faster and further than the jog, with no breaks, the time and weather will be recorded.
So, perhaps one is formal and the other informal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Didn't Paula R describe her recent 43 minute 10k as a "fast jog"? If that's the company joggers can keep, sign me up now.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Steve said:
When do you turn from being a jogger to being a runner?:confused:
I considered myself a jogger for the first four months until someone lured me into a race representing a local pub. It was a road and fell relay where I was given one of the fell sections (2½ miles with 800ft of ascent). By some miracle we were 'first pub team' and came away with two dozen cans of ale. After that I called myself a runner!
Cheers!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I recently found a free BUPA survey that we did at work about 10 years ago. It states on there that anything over a seven minute mile was only jogging....bloody cheek! Mind you it concludes with 'my results' as most likely cause of death....alcohol related disease or a traffic accident (due to my above average milage).

If you look up 'jogging' in a dictionary, it states something like 'moving from side to side in a very awkward fashion!......I'm sure we don't do that do we?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Runningfox said:
I considered myself a jogger for the first four months until someone lured me into a race representing a local pub. It was a road and fell relay where I was given one of the fell sections (2½ miles with 800ft of ascent). By some miracle we were 'first pub team' and came away with two dozen cans of ale. After that I called myself a runner!
Cheers!
This sounds like a race for Dave!
Is it still run?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By coincidence when I was out RUNNING last night some 5 asiders shouted at me "JOGGER, can you get our ball" ( It had gone over the fence). I was tempted to feign deafness but they were big lads....!

I'm with Dan on this...once you start to take things a bit more seriously and try to run longer and faster, and enter races, you are a runner.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with either Dan or Steve on this one. So here is some more fuel for the debate: Surely jogging and running have to do with your pace, and not your objectives? So I may be starting to run longer and faster than I did previously (given that I started at 1 min run/1 min walk 3 months ago, and am now running solidly for 30 minutes - and I use the word "running" here loosely), but I still think I am a jogger and not a runner. Relative to 3 months ago though I am running both longer and faster, and that is my overall objective. But my pace still feels slow for now, and I know that my foot falls do not make me look like a runner.

Also, for those of you that consider yourself runners: what do you do on your long, slow distance workouts that you typically do on Sundays? Are you running or jogging? Also, marathon runners, who have to stay the whole distance - and ok, this maybe applies to those that take over 4 hours - do they run or jog?

So I think running or jogging has to do with pace per workout, and I'm interested to see BUPA's threshold limit of 7 minute/mile pace mentioned by Bagpuss. To me, that's a pretty tough threshold.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Did the term 'jogging' come about to describe what fat Americans did?....................sorry any Americans logged on, no offence meant, sorry also if you are overweight..........perhaps I'd better shut up now!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Steve said:
Is it still run?

Reminds me of a race I used as a teenager.

Pub landlord in a pram. Team of 5 running a course of around 2 1/2 miles pushing the pram stopping at five pubs. 10 minutes in each pub to drink as many pints as possible.

Prizes for quickest team round the course and team that managed to drink the most.

Won the drinking prize 2 years running but was never the fastest.

And yes,things used to end up extremely messy.

Not the sort of thing that the drink awareness people would be to impressed with these days I think.

And it was fancy dress.

So thats were it all started. :d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Karen said:
Lost your tactfulness then Bagpuss?

Not one of my strongest points Karen!!! Often in trouble for not thinking before I open my mouth. Lucky I was too old to apply for the 'Laddettes to Ladies'.

Also sounds like Dave hasn't changed his ways!!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I see still my self as a jogger, my aim is to get my times down to 9 min miles (which I hope is a realistic target) and then I shall overnight turn from a jogger into a runner !

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bagpuss..... 50 press ups right now!!

Dave.... how could you let Bagpuss back in so easily?! Shocking! 100 PRESS UPS!

Karen...I like your arguement and think pace is relevant. However everyone's idea of pace is subjective. A 8 min mile for me is very slow over say a 5k but might be considered good by me over a marathon. However someone else may say 8 min miling over 5k is a good pace. The BUPA threshold referred to would put people off running in my view. 7min miling is a very good pace for most of us even at the shorter distances.

To me you are a runner Karen.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Steve said:
Is it still run?
Yes. It's called the 'Cross Keys Relay' and takes place at Uppermill near Saddleworth round about the beginning of September (2nd this year). It's regarded as quite a 'toughie' and the organisers insist all the appropriate equipment is carried in case of foul weather - full body cover, map, compass, whistle, emergency food - according to FRA regulations.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts