Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! I will be running my 1st Marathon next year at Belfast, trouble is I need to register (I guess) and could do with some help on how to do this. Who to contact etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Any one have problems with toe nail's? - I do - Big toe nails go black and blue and other nails just dig in and hurt. Is normal toe nail cutting OK or does anyone go to a Chiropodist?

·
Registered
151 Posts
check your shoe size Maths, I am a size 7 in normal shoes or boots, but need a 7.5 and sometimes and 8 in my running shoes, and I have never (touches wood) lost a toenail. You need space at the front of your shoes as your feet swell during runs, particularly long runs. Your feet also move forward and back depending on the gradient of the surface you are running on, so again you need space (but not too much) for that movement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found when I did my last marathon, it wasn't that my shoes were to small in the length part. But the room shoes have for your toes to swell up is also very important to consider.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I first started running 20+ miles I started to get numb feet so I used to tie my laces really loosely, which caused my toes to push up against the end of my shoe and give me blackened toe nails. Luckily they weren't painful... I've heard some real horror stories about people digging pins in to their nails to relieve the pain!!!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
The risk of losing toe nails is part of running, I've lost one big toe nail in the past (the new one grew back over the dead one) and currently got a huge blood blister under another, I've lanced blisters before but It's not recommended because of the risk of infections but I could not walk so took the risk.

What size are you normal shoes and what size are your running trainers?

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
Google Belfast marathon and it should take you to the official website so you can enter. Re your toes, you need to keep your toenails short and make sure you have the correct footwear. Do you have a local running shop you can go to to get your gait measured?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts