Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running over 20 years...I'm a shoe guru and biomechanically assess peoples gaits all day long...I'm still losing my toenails...

Shoes Okay? yup
Socks okay? yup...tried em all wearing hilly mono's and Nike lite running...said goodbye to Thorlos...
Biomechanics...as good as it gets...no mj issues...
Shoes long/short enough...been there...checked that,
Socks too tight...nope...
Orthotics?...haven't thought of that one till now...but would wonder how that would help.
Too many miles? well...now...let's just say I know people that run marathons month in and month out and still don't lose those littel baby's like I do.

My future career as a foot model is questionable at this point. Pick a toe...anytoe...

Suggestions please...I've even thought of putting little rubber bimpers under my toes to lift the pads off the ground so I don't grab at the surface so much...:eek:

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
If it helps any both my big toes are black and it looks disgusting, I had only just got them back to normal when my Half Marathon training started up again and once the longer runs started thats when my big toenails went black, fortunately they don't come off, they just grow out, like you have tried different trainers and socks etc, which seem to make no difference.... :(

They are seen as a badge of honour by Bob Glover

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Mine are fine.

Perhaps I`m doing something wrong.........:)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I was always missing one or three in peak training.... but I am proud to say that at present I have a full compliment of toe nails :d

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you have all your toenails on peak training you must be doing something right!
I always have hideous toes.
Needle time!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Shoes, maybe?
I never had a black toe nail in 11 years until I started using Adidas shoes.
A half-marathon or long run in them and there you go...

Not saying it's about Adidas. Just that maybe there is something that works for others and not for you.
This model doesn't work for me...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Full complement here, just a shame my toes are so crooked. Tend to get problems if I deviate from my normal shoes and try something new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've worn em all. First time in a NB shoe about 15 years ago...since then I get it all the time. Then again...my distance has stayed up in the half marathon distance and beyond. Just switched to the Adidas snov cush...still got one...great shoe by the way...yummy. It must be my toes...little buggers...can't live with em...can't run without em. I'll keep on researching my options...summers nearly here and I'll be the one with the dark purple polish on the poolside.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
steepler said:
If you have all your toenails on peak training you must be doing something right!
I always have hideous toes.
Needle time!

That's the point steepler... I wouldn't exactly call what I've been doing peak training...I wish I could have :confused:

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Arrrghhhh! Managed to train for this marathon and keep my toe nails the right colour and with less than two weeks to go one turned the colour of a punched eye :p

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gosh Im beginning to think Meg is doing something wrong too, his are fine, (as far as feet can be) he has this week started getting terrible blisters under his feet though, but darent get new shoes as his race is only 02 weeks away

Run262......maybe you could be an hand model instead:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not with these sinuey, bony hands...scary...too much tom boy in me for that...maybe a hair model...but who's hair would I model...keith richards perhaps? Nice fit for my toenails.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great... so for us relatively new runners we have black toes to look forward to? lol

I have been running since April/May this year and haven't had any problems yet. At the place where I bought my running shoes they said to buy them bigger to prevent the whole toe issue, which I did. They also said to keep toenails trimmed all the time, which I do.

Does this mean that when I start upping my weekly mileage that I'm gonna get some gross looking toes?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Mine seem to survive OK, only time I got a black nail was when I ran a marathon with some medical tape wrapped over one big toe to stop it blistering (maybe the tape was too tight or something)

I hate how long it takes for a black bit at the bottom of the nail to grow all the way out though :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts