Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I am adreinne and am new to this site. I joined because I need inspiration and advice! I just completed the Tokyo marathon on Sunday - great but very painful experience!!! I did it in 5hrs 31 mins and I noticed I did even splits during the 1st 25 km (averaging 31 minutes) after that it was much longer - 43 - 54 mminutes. I did have 3 blisters on 1 foot!!! but medical aid helped...my goal for next February - a bit bold - is to run a marathon in 4.5hrs. Could anyone give me advice on how I can do this? To be honest the longest I ran before the marathin was 25 km - which shows a pattern already...I guess I need to run longer when training but are there any other tips????:d
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Well done on completing the marathon. For the next one try some longer runs plus some speed work e.g. 800 metre reps with 2 mins rest between. Start with three reps and build up to 10 eventually. Also hill work is great for building strength and speed. Find a hill to run up that takes between 1 and 2 minutes jog down and repeat. Start with 4 to 6 times and build up to twelve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - this advice is great - how many times a week do you recommend I do speed training? WHat kind of speed should I aim for? As fast as I can run??? Also with longer runs - do I need to do a full marathon before the marathon?
Thanks again - Adrienne

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW!!!! That was great advice - I found a bridge with a 700 meter hill and tried this 4 times - nearly killed myself! Only 6 days after the marathon so maybe premature but I could see how this training will now be an essential part of my weekly training schedule.
Thank you!!!! 12 times is a dream right now but I have a year so let;s see!!!!:d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts