Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said "TOMORROW'S QUESTION" so no looking today!:d

I'm away tomorrow, Wednesday, so have to post the question for tomorrow today!

When you race do you :
Go off too fast?
Go off too slow?
Get into your race pace straight away?

Do your answers differ depending on the race distance?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Steve said:
I said "TOMORROW'S QUESTION" so no looking today!:d

I'm away tomorrow, Wednesday, so have to post the question for tomorrow today!

When you race do you :
Go off too fast?
Go off too slow?
Get into your race pace straight away?

Do your answers differ depending on the race distance?
Answers on a postcard ay!!:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
normally start off at a reasonable pace and then pick it up by 1/2 mile in and keep my HR around 175 no lower than 170, this is based on 1/2 marathon distance.

Only done one 10k with little training and so have not got a strategy so to speak.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It usually depends on the race distance for me, and also how much I've been able to train, ie how fit I am :confused:

marathon...start off as easy as possible and build up the pace according to how I feel at certain points
Half marathon...start off at a good steady pace and pick it up towards the latter part of the race
10k...start off quite fast, build up the pace quickly and finish fairly fast
5k...run as fast as I can from the off and as hard and fast as I can til the finish.. that's why I don't particularly like 5k's, they hurt!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I usually set off too fast, but this happened much less on the last race I did, since I tracked myself on my garmin pretty much constantly for the first 1 1/2 miles or so

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trinity said:
It usually depends on the race distance for me, and also how much I've been able to train, ie how fit I am :confused:

marathon...start off as easy as possible and build up the pace according to how I feel at certain points
Half marathon...start off at a good steady pace and pick it up towards the latter part of the race
10k...start off quite fast, build up the pace quickly and finish fairly fast
5k...run as fast as I can from the off and as hard and fast as I can til the finish.. that's why I don't particularly like 5k's, they hurt!
Have you been poaching my race plans Trin?!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts