Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I've been pushing myself too hard recently? last week I ran 2 miles both Monday and Wednesday yet on Friday and this morning I could only manage 1 and that was a struggle. I felt heavy legged and struggled with my breathing.

Perhaps I should aim for 1 mile only for a while before trying to go any further no matter how tempting it is?

I've only been doing this 8 weeks so I guess I've done well to get to a mile by now?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Lizzy, just becareful you dont push too much too soon, i am a prime example of that.

I went two steps forward and now i am on one step back, but i am building back up.

Listen to your body if its tired have a day off, or even just go for a mile walk etc.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Lizzy, just becareful you dont push too much too soon, i am a prime example of that.

I went two steps forward and now i am on one step back, but i am building back up.

Listen to your body if its tired have a day off, or even just go for a mile walk etc.
That's exactly what I did too. Ran way too many sessions per week, ignored little niggles that I thought were aches and pains that turned out to be a serious injury and was out of action for 6 months.

Even when I came back it was tough to accept my injury was due to over use.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well i never suffered injury as such but i think my body told me i done too much, i got the race bug once i did one, ended up doing lots of races in my first year (23) ... so i think my body said enough ..... suffered with all sorts of illnesses :rolleyes: think my body went into shutdown.

I am slowly rebuilding myself now and picking and choosing races more carefully... I will not enter a race now just because the rest of the club are doing it.

I want to go forwards for now and not another step back.

So thats why i say, little and often is better than too much.

And i have also learned thats its ok to take a step back in running and go back to basics it makes you a stronger runner i think... lots of club members and i am sure here, people would say the same, everyone gets a set back. elite or beginner.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just thought if I did a 5 mile run one day I could do 6 the next time out, then 7, etc. I learned the hard way it doesn't work like that, well not for me anyway.

I can't agree more with your the little and often comment. With a lot of help I reailsed I had to go back to the very beginning as you say. I started from scratch applying a lot more sense to my regime. I completely overhauled my idea of training. It has worked so far, but it's tough trying to apply discipline. I don't get to run as often as I want yet but it seems to be keeping the dreaded shin splints and achilles tendonitis at bay so I will stick to the plan :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts