Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice.... I'm a 26yr old male but am overweight for my size....

I'm medium build, 6foot tall but weigh 15st.... looking to get down to around 12.5 - 13.0 st (which I was when I was very fit when I was 21! :) )

Now I'm the kind of person that struggles to jog slowly....I've been jooging 3 times a week for 3 weeks now and am definately starting to feel fitter....and am jogging 3k in around 17minutes (although I feel like I'm gonna die once i've done it!) which I think is pretty quick for someone who weighs 15st :), particularly as I strugled to do it in under 15 minutes when I was 21

Anyway...the problem is that I don't seem to be losing any weight :mad: so I'm guessing that I'm just going too fast??

Can anyone tell me the lap time I should be aiming for for 3k for someone who weighs 15st and wants to lose weight, rather than get fitter? Should I go really slow and aim to do the 3k in say 25 minutes?

Also, do you think 3k is long enough, or should I be going further than this??

thanks guys

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dont expect the weight to fall off over night, it takes time. Watch what you are eating and do other things like going to a gym or swimming, even long walks.

Dont know about the slow thing to lose weight. The faster you run, your heart works harder and the more calories you use up.

Try to slowly improve on distance. 3k is not even 2miles. Go for 3miles to start, and do a run/walk if you have to (run for 5 mins. / walk for 2 mins.) but take it easy.

You are not that much over weight so dont expect massive weight lose. You will get fitter the more you do, and it's easier for fit people to lose more weight.

Remember the food issue. The easiest way to lose weight is to use more calories than you consume.
For one month, cut out any cakes, biscuits, fried food and alcohol (tuffy), infact anything you know to be fattening. Go for fish, chicken, turkey, fresh fruit & veg. You will see a difference.
Also very important - drink lots of water.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Apparently you use up 100 calories for every mile you jog/run no matter how fast or slow you are. If you're jogging 2 miles 3 times a week then thats 600 calories a week. You need 1,500 of a calorie deficit to lose one pound. Sounds difficult when you put it like that but if you spent 30-40mins jogging/walking 4 times a week and maybe a gym or swimming session you'll definetly start to notice a difference quickly.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You need to workout at 65% of your max heart rate to lose fat...so I'm told. Accordingly you don't have to go flat out to lose weight but you do need to do a number of decent workouts/runs per week to burn of the excess. 100 cals a mile is a good general rule of thumb guide.
Don't try to do too much too soon. Build up mileage and speed over a period of say 8 weeks and give yourself a goal other than weight loss....ie a local 5k race.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts