Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
= reduced training?

My race schedule is non-stop at the moment meaning they are starting to merge into one and the excitement surrounding them is lessening.:confused:

Races are fine but for me I'd rather train 5 days a week and race less regularly.
What about you?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I only tend to race a couple of times a year, and the ones I do tend to be big events.

I would quite like to race more, maybe once a month or so, as they are fun and help you run better, but organising it, getting transport etc is a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Since I started doing marathons I race much less and miss that.
When I competed in Highland Games in Scotland I used to race 3 or 4 times a day, 2 or 3 days a week, between track and hill races.
But with the crouds and the even competition it was always exciting.

If you can keep yourself competitive Steve, then you may enjoy all your races. If you can set challenging goals, achieve new PB's, have your "personal competition" with other runners...
If not then it could become something too usual to bring any excitement. It was like that when I started running with a race every weekend and it lost some of it's appeal...

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'd much rather do a race every month or two - not to get a good time at every race, but for the atmosphere of the event and because I always seem to run that wee bit harder in a race than I do when training.

When I was training for my marathon, I only did one race before the big one and I was wishing I could have entered a couple of local 10k's for fun. Now that's out the way, I definately be racing a bit more often.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I don't race very often, but absolutely LOVE racing... to the point where I feel I'd love to be racing virtually every week. BUT, I can see the thrill of the events lessening if I competed quite so often. I'll hopefully get in some XC races over the winter but then I'll do less again over the road racing season to allow for some focused training. I've got a fair way to go to get to where I want to be, and I don't think I'll get there by racing alone!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I love racing,but it can be frustrating trying not to do too much leading up to one.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Too many races....not enough time!

I love racing, and there was a time when I was in a race at least a couple of times a month... with the occasional month where I'd be at a race every weekend. That's not to say that I'd be out and out racing every one, some of them would be 'training runs within a race situation', particularly if I was in marathon training.

But racing is also about the social aspect of running. I'd often see friends at races that I wouldn't otherwise see, so it would be like a day out with running friends and a race to take part in, which is so much nicer than trudging around old familier training ground on my own.

Then again there's the races that I really really enjoy, that I want to do again and again. But the more new races I do, the more of these type of races I find :confused:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've only ever run 3 races, I actually prefer the training part of it with my mates (I assume this because I'm not as fast as I'd like to be)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thank god i decided to give myself a rest this week, well from racing anyway :d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I have felt like that is all I have done this year is do races, so next year I plan to do only two and if I feel like doing more then I will sign up on the day rather than committing myself, especially 1/2 marathons they take up so much time with training, my trouble is I want the best of both worlds :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts