Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post so please be gentle with me!

I've been running for about 5 months, building up slowly to competing in my first 10K on Sunday (50.03).

I am targeting a 1/2 marathon in March and have been following a number of different training programmes. I am currently running approx 18 miles a week.

My training programme says that I will be running up to 30 miles a week in the weeks before the race, before tapering down as it approaches. I am highly competitive so want to do the 1/2 marathon in a decent time, not just get around - I am looking for about 1hr.45.

My question is, is this too much too soon? I am finding the training really enjoyable but I'm worried that I could overtrain. I'm currently running 3x a week but this will be up 5x by Christmas. I don't think this is too much but as a novice still I just need reassuring!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
You have plenty of time to improve to a 1:45 half. Just go for it. I don't think you would be overdoing it. You essentially just have to get to a level where you can run your 10k time back to back and add another 0.7 mile at the same pace. Increasing your weekly mileage to 30 and doing some long runs and speed runs should get you to the 1:45 mark. You know you can run 10k at 8:03 pace. You just need to run 13.1 miles at 8:01 pace. That's certainly not an unrealistic goal. Good luck :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
To get a good time you need to have reasonable base mileage training which is what you are doing right now, I wouldn't start to up your mileage by much more before your schedule starts.

Welcome to RF by the way.

TT :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
From now until march you have plenty of time to improve... 1:45:00 shouldn't be a problem for you - particularly if you're planning to reach 30miles a week!

Currently doing 18miles a week I think you're doing great - you mention increasing from 3x a week, to 5x a week by Xmas... what sort of mileage will you be doing around Xmas time?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback, its much appreicated.

I haven't got my training programme to hand (I'm at work!) but the increase each week is in very small increments, I have no intention of rushing it. I've also purchased A HRM so that should hopefully help?

Another question, once I've completed the 1/2 marathon in March, how should I alter my running programme? I'm planning the next one after that in July (can you tell I'm already hooked?!), should I just start again on another 12 week programme or would i continue with the weekly training/mileage I'd reached by the first one in March?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I Don't Think You Are Over Doing It...plenty Of Time To Build Up For The Half.
Which One Btw?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts