Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across a running blog that states (in its not-very-expert opinion!!) what the top ten running foods are - and there is no mention of what every runner I know SWEARS by and that is porridge! The impression I get is that this is supposed to be a fairly serious blog, but no porridge, no rice, no pasta in the list...what are they thinkng of? Do you all agree?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Chocolate. Perfect running food. But it doesn't have as many carbs in it as say, pasta or rice. So you have to eat more of it. :cool:

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Lol, whilst there is evidence to suggest aspects of beer can help aid recovery, I'm fairly sure these are outdone by the negative aspects of beer drinking, and any benefit would be purely on an 'in moderation' basis. Much like red wine being good for you! :p

Chocolate is also linked to better blood flow (helping the heart & blood pressure etc), though this is only the case with plain chocolate (above 70% cocoa content), and up to 3 squares a day.

Interestingly, cloudy apple juice supposedly has more anti-oxidants than any other fruit juice (including cranberry, blueberry etc...), I wonder if the same goes for cloudy cider? (in moderation of course) No such joy I'd imagine!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
jelly babies are good but not very nice when they get too warm ........ :(

anything chocolate is lovely :d

Jaffa cakes are lovely.

When i used to go weight watchers years ago they told me to eat the value jaffa cakes as they were less calories than the branded ones, what an excuse to eat two to a one branded one.

You think they would keep that to themselves really....... i mean it being weight watchers and all... but they are right, and they taste just as nice.

3 squares richard thats just a taster. :p

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
LEECE said:
3 squares richard thats just a taster. :p
I know... if I try and eat just 3 squares I end up craving chocolate more than before I started!

Jaffa Cakes are indeed great, but far too more-ish, is it actually possible to not eat a pack in one sitting? :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
you would have to have a pretty big mouth Richard HEE HEE

*boom boom

I could easy, especially when you do the full moon, half moon, total eclipse

:d

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I said is it possible not to eat a whole pack in one sitting :p... obviously from your response you're able to restrain yourself... half a pack is simply not an option to me - I have to restrain myself from buying them in the first place otherwise they're gone by the end of the same day :( :embarrassed:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If memory serves there were things like eggs, venison, apples, mackerel, strawberries, prawns, spinach (that's 7 out of 10!). No mention of chocolate. I did a long triathlon in france in Sept, and there was chocolate at the feed stations late in the bike and right thru the run. Awesome, but it motivated me to stay at the feed station rather than getting on with the running.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I said is it possible not to eat a whole pack in one sitting :p... obviously from your response you're able to restrain yourself... half a pack is simply not an option to me - I have to restrain myself from buying them in the first place otherwise they're gone by the end of the same day :( :embarrassed:
Could be amusing watching someone trying to put a whole packet in :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well sounds like you need to challenge yourself to try richard

Mini ones could be a better option, but i find them not as nice

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
PinkCheeseMuffler said:
I did a long triathlon in france in Sept, and there was chocolate at the feed stations late in the bike and right thru the run. Awesome, but it motivated me to stay at the feed station rather than getting on with the running.

I would definitely include porridge (or at least muesli) in the list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Porridge is good as it is also made with milk, so you get some proteins with your slow release carbs. I fail to fuel myself properly though. My work canteen serves porridge which I was eating with honey, until a week ago, when they got a new chef, and the porridge was foul. Maybe it will improve again. But so far today (at home), all I have eaten is a bowl of porridge (about 60g of oats and half a pint of milk). Time for lunch, then some weight training. I'll run tomorrow, hopefully the rain will stop soon!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
How long after eating (porridge, for example), should you go for a run to get maximum benefit? I've heard some people say that it is the meals you eat the day before a long run that are more important in determining performance. Does anyone know the real science behind this? I usually go for a run 30-45 mins after eating breakfast.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts