Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to start running as I can not motivate myself to go to the gym. My problem is that once I get in from work I can not be bothered going back out so the intention is to get up at 6am and go a half hour run before work. I have proper running shoes so looking for some advice for a complete novice and some motivational tips.

For info, i'm 5'9, 13.5 stone and looking to lose around 2 stone. How long can I expect it to take to lose this if i go out around 3 times a week...?

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hi there Paulie,

Welcome to the RF, i am still a novice myself so probably someone else can answer.

I know what you mean about motivation BUT i take my stuff to work and run in my lunch hour, OR i go gym in my lunch hour, on running nights i take my stuff with me to work and then change at work then run straight from work (NOT going home) IF i would go home i probably would not go out as much. (on rainy nights etc) this works well for me, and since running i have not missed a training session (part from holiday for 1 week).

Getting up and running at 6am would not work for me as i need energy to run that time of the morning and therefore need a good breakfast.

Have you run outside before ?? have you ever run or are you totally starting from scratch.

If your a total novice then you will have to do a walk/jog programme which i know a few members on here are doing or have done.

As for weight i know how you feel having dropped 4 stone myself and kept it off since 2000, its hard to say how long it will take to lose this as myself i have gained a few pounds since running.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Hi Paulie,
Welcome to the runnersforum!

If motivation is the issue then getting up a 6am might be a struggle, especially now that the mornings are getting darker again.
Good to hear you have proper running shoes, did you get them from a running shop where you get told which make and model would suit you best? There are different kinds of running shoes for different styles.

If you are completely new to running then I would say start of slow, so many people starting out running think that running means you need to go fast. This isnt true. Different people run at different speeds. When you are out running try and keep it slow enough so you can hold a conversation without to much difficulty, if your going out at 6am don't worry about people hearing you :)

Build up your miles and your pace over time.

Loosing weight should be your motivation but it can take a while to start dropping off, it depends on your diet as well.
Advice that I learnt was to keep your body hydrated, some weight that you carry can be water retention and by keeping your body hydrated you reduce the amount that your body requires to hold on board :) As I said in a thread not that long ago.....the colour of your wee should be almost clear. The darker it is the less hydrated you are.
Weight will probably come of faster in the first couple of weeks than any other time simply because your starting to do more excerice.

You don't want to loose the weight too fast otherwise you run the risk of just putting it back on, slow and steady works best.

If there is anyone else you know who wants to join you running then this will help with motivation, this forum is a great place for motivation as well. Post your progress and keep us up to date on how your doing.
There is also a great training blog (found in the 'other' link at the top of the page) where you can record all your runs and then look back on your runs and see how you have improved.

All the best and look forward to hearing how your runs are going.

O.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Paulie

Welcome to the Forum. A relatively new runner myself, I cannot add anything to what the others have said other than that I think anyone who can run in the early morning has to be super-human. Even though I feel pretty motivated to run, I am not THAT motivated! I take my dogs out at 6.30 am and have often thought I could use the time to run but there is just NO WAY I could do so at that time - my body and brain is still in sleep mode and stiff as a board. I am sure if I tried I would only manage to injure myself...! Just keep at it and don't try to do too much too soon.

Have fun!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Can't really add anything to the above and am relatively new myself - since I've joined the forum my running has got a LOT better, purely because of the virtual support I'm sure.

My tip would be to keep it steady. I've found that my overall times are faster if I keep telling myself to slow down because it means I can keep going longer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey there,

I'd just reiterate what Altna's said. If you’re going to go running in the mornings you need to make sure you’re perfectly, awake, stretched up, warmed up and in the state of mind to go for a run. Especially if you’re running on roads as you need to be more than alert these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts