Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mike,

Welcome on board (though I'm a fairly recent joiner myself :) ).

As well as having a general browse about, look in particular at the Training forum where you'll find useful info, and post any specific questions you have, seem to be a friendly bunch here, with no snobbery about newbies to the board or running. Only been running myself since January, but hooked now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Mike,
I'm a new runner still trying to find someone to run with at the mo, how you doing and do you feel as puffed as i do when youve been for a run ha.
Stotty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first run

Stotty said:
Hi Mike,
I'm a new runner still trying to find someone to run with at the mo, how you doing and do you feel as puffed as i do when youve been for a run ha.
Stotty

Hi,Stotty,

Just done my first run tonight.
Absolutely shattered, i am following the walk/run programme.
I didnt realise how unfit i was.
I will keep it up though,my plan is to do a half marathon next september so i have given myself a year, hope its long enough!!!

mike

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Giving yourself a year to train for a 1/2m should be just about right if you are running from scratch.
Would advise taking the first month very easy...not too far and not too fast so as to allow your body to adjust. At that stage try to find a local running, not athletic club, to join to give you company, encouragement and advice. You'll then find yourself running longer and faster and best of all entering 5k, 10k and even local cross country races which will all help you get stronger and fitter for the 1/2m next September.
All the best!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Steve

Noticed you give some good advice and was wondering ........I have been running from August this year and have ran a 5k course in 30 mins (sloooooow) and am planning to run a 10k race on 4th December 2006 do you think I would be ready? I do not intend to try and beat anyone to the finish , just finish (ha ha)

I'm 42 and run about 3 to 4 times a week and cover anything from 1 mile to 5 miles....

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Thanks Nellie, I try!

Considering you've run for a couple of months only you're doing really well and must be proud of yourself!

That is not a slow time for a beginner and yes you do have time to train for a 10k. There are 9 weeks to your 10k race day so you can add distance and speed to your schedule without going over the top. You can already do 5 miles so going an extra 1.2 miles to finish a 10k shouldn't be a problem.

Try to do 4 runs a week.
1. A short sharp effort of intervals/fartlek (after 10 mins warm up)...ie running fast for a measured distance such as between lamposts and then jogging the same distance... do say 5 reps to start with and increase as and when you feel comfortable to do so. Then do 10 mins cool down. Will probably be about 3 miles in all.
2.Do a steady 3 mile run at your regular pace.
3.Do a slow long run....the distance can increase week by week but no more than 10% per week. Start by doing 4 miles and then gradually increase...that way by the middle of your 9 week training period you'll be up to 6 miles. I would suggest you then do 3/4 6 milers if not increase to do 1/2 6.5 milers to get your body/legs/mind used to the distance.
4. Recovery run of 3 miles at an easy pace.

I'm sure you'll find other ideas elsewhere but trust this helps for now.

All the best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts