Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new runner, been at it now for about 4 months. I've completed my first 10k and i've entered the "tough guy" competition in January with a group of mad mates !! I'm running around 7 - 8 miles three times a week at the moment and plan to up this to around 10 miles by January. Has anyone got any other hints or tips for the tough guy ?

Also i've got a question for the ladies in the forum, (sorry about this guys). A couple of times when I've been running I have experienced severe period pain type cramps :eek: Is this normal ? It's only happened twice but it has reduced me to a virtual walk and I just wondered if anyone knows what causes it and how to prevent it.

I'm also thinking about getting a HRM/GPS type watch. Has anyone got any experience of either the timex bodylink or forerunner systems. Sorry about all the questions, but as you can see I've got the bug big time !!

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
These cramps you get, have you eaten within the last couple of hours when you get them?
My other half gets really bad 'period' cramps when he has eaten something that doesn't agree with him, maybe a touch of IBS. Sometimes it effects him straight away, sometimes it takes a couple of hours to kick in and the episode usually ends up with a long trip to the toilet.
If this sounds like you, I'm afraid it's time to look at you diet and drinking habits and I don't mean beer.

Hope this has helped and I hope the cramps get better soon.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi, I've done tough guy the last 2 years. The really is no way to prepare for it!

The run is quite a tough cross country, depending on which start group you are in, you will probably find that you will recover between obstacles because you have to queue. The cold is the most difficult thing to deal with (they had to break the ice before we could go into the water this year). The thick mud and anaconda at the end can be cramp enducing!

Not doing it next month though, going to try and enjoy my birthday instead of torturing myself!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds fantastic !! Just the thought of having to break ice before getting into water !! I think I'll be near the back as i'm a "wetneck", so hopefully the water will be warmer from everyone else by the time i get there !!

·
Registered
244 Posts
madrabbit said:
Sounds fantastic !! Just the thought of having to break ice before getting into water !! I think I'll be near the back as i'm a "wetneck", so hopefully the water will be warmer from everyone else by the time i get there !!
Wetneck isn't too bad actually MR, I think they normally go after the Tough Guy squad (defo go back a second time and experience the proper start as a tough guy, it's carnage!)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Running usually helps with period type cramps something to do with endorphines that get released.

Are you getting a stitch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steady Edwina said:
Running usually helps with period type cramps something to do with endorphines that get released.

Are you getting a stitch?
No, I'm not getting any stitch. Its like a dull ache low down in my abdomen that feels like period pains. Once I stop running it stops. I don't know what is causing it or how to prevent it. I have never actually been on a period when i've got these pains either.

Just about to read the tough guy report now !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts