Runners Forum banner

Townie scum

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  telmadee 
#1 ·
I just went running with my girlfriend, first time she's come with me too. We took quite a nice route by all accounts, round a big park in the middle of Cardiff, and everything was going well enough, then a mob of townies passed on bikes and smacked us both round the head. We'd moved into single file to let them pass, so I was slightly in front of my girlfriend and hadn't realised they'd hit her too, so I was being pretty philosophical about the whole thing, you know, "Don't worry, they'll probably die of malnutrition or get their legs broken by drug dealers", whatever. I just got really angry when I realised they'd hit her, too. I grew up in Manchester so it's nothing new to me, I just wish all townies would die. And just to make this a group topic rather than a rant, anyone else ever had this kind of nonsense before out running? The thing is, they're not brave souls, and us runners are often out and about on our lonesome, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to other people too. I love the country we live in, don't you? :)

#2 ·
I sympathise mate.
I live in Horsham, West Sussex which is allegedly the 'second best place to live in England'.
Out running in August 2005 a group(2 teenage boys,2 teen girls) of kids tripped me on purpose and I ended up in A&E with 8 stitches in a huge gash in my knee and missed 2 weeks of running. How on earth I didn't hit any of them I will never know!
I will meet them again one day though...........

#4 ·
I dont run yet, but im so sorry to read this, its dispicable that people behave this way!
ED M im sorry your post did make me chuckle, some people are numpty's arent they, but im curious now,do you run with wrists bent and prance rather than run to give them cause to call you that lol, sorry only joking!

#5 ·
telmadee said:
I dont run yet, but im so sorry to read this, its dispicable that people behave this way!
ED M im sorry your post did make me chuckle, some people are numpty's arent they, but im curious now,do you run with wrists bent and prance rather than run to give them cause to call you that lol, sorry only joking!
actually my wife & her mate did take the p*ss on one of my track ultras when every time i came past they were yelling out "oooh, shut that door" or somesuch.

as it happened yesterday i was walking and on the mobile to her at the time.

the one most dubious occasion i encountered was on a group run when it was raining, the local kids had gathered in a subway we use to keep dry i guess, with bikes strewn across the path. we turned the corner and thought uh-oh.... but as we got closer they rushed forwards & moved the bikes with much apologising (and ridicule from their mates for being in the way).

half the time these lads/lasses will back down if challenged, not always a tempting idea when they're in a group tho.

#6 ·
Ha ha I remember once spotting a load of youths in a subway and just putting my foot on it, hopefully I was just a confusing blur to them :-D

#8 ·
I've not yet...touchwood...had any serious trouble like this ...just the usual 118 chants etc, kids running alongside or more often running ahead to show how good they are( before running out of ***/drug/drink starved puff 10 yards later!) and not moving out the way.

As for loving this country we live in according to today's news we could have amalgmated with France in the 1950s...now I like the ooh la la but as for the rest of it!!

#9 ·
oooh that reminds me.. yesterday toward the beginning i also had a one younger kid on a bike show off to his mate by yelling 'just keep running, just keep running' ....... in the 'just keep swimming' style of finding nemo.

wasn't sure if he realised quite how much it reflected his choice in films ;-)

#10 ·
ed_m said:
actually my wife & her mate did take the p*ss on one of my track ultras when every time i came past they were yelling out "oooh, shut that door" or somesuch.

as it happened yesterday i was walking and on the mobile to her at the time.

the one most dubious occasion i encountered was on a group run when it was raining, the local kids had gathered in a subway we use to keep dry i guess, with bikes strewn across the path. we turned the corner and thought uh-oh.... but as we got closer they rushed forwards & moved the bikes with much apologising (and ridicule from their mates for being in the way).

half the time these lads/lasses will back down if challenged, not always a tempting idea when they're in a group tho.

Oh im sorry but i did piddle myself almost when i read this.
I know what you mean about gangs, unfortunately even the good kids do tend to get tarred with same brush, I have 02 teenage lads, and would string em up if they behaved liek this

#11 ·
I've moved into a flat on a temporary lease (while legal procedures get sorted out over my seperation from ex-wife), in a 'rougher' part of the local area. My runs now pass an open area where yougsters kick a ball about etc. Other than once when one ran alongside of me for 50 yards, they've either ignored me or actualy shown an interest, asking how far I'm running etc. A bit surprised, I actually wondered if I'd get some hassle but it's been OK so far.

#12 · (Edited)
One of my favourite places for doing speed reps is on the flat plateaux of Castle Hill, a mile from my home. Last summer three local teenagers were lounging in the grass and started 'taking the mickey' as I sped one way then jogged back the other. I invited them to join me and, to my surprise, they did.
One of them managed just one rep before falling back in the grass, I suspect a bit embarrassed about struggling to match strides with a galloping great grandad! Another fell by the wayside after two reps. The third said, "I'll just have a little rest, then join you again. He came back for just one more and gave me a trouncing. "How many are you doing?" he asked as we jogged back. I said I was doing 24 as part of my training for the Burnsall 10 mile race. "Bloody 'ell" he said, in total disbelief. They went off, waving and bearing the greatest respect. They're not all bad.
Cheers!

#13 ·
Hi

I try and avoid the above by trying not to look like a 'typical' runner. Not saying I go out running in boxing gloves but I try and wear a hoodie or rugby/football tops/shorts etc. I think for kids there is some kind of negative stigma attached to runners and distance running in general, where it does not hold the same social status as other sports, and being out on your own, or in small numbers makes you an easy target. Could just be the most paranoid runner in the block though!

#15 ·
Welsh runabit said:
Hi

I try and avoid the above by trying not to look like a 'typical' runner. Not saying I go out running in boxing gloves but I try and wear a hoodie or rugby/football tops/shorts etc. I think for kids there is some kind of negative stigma attached to runners and distance running in general, where it does not hold the same social status as other sports, and being out on your own, or in small numbers makes you an easy target. Could just be the most paranoid runner in the block though!
The same aswell really, If I stop running then I just blend in.

#16 ·
Runningfox said:
One of my favourite places for doing speed reps is on the flat plateaux of Castle Hill, a mile from my home. Last summer three local teenagers were lounging in the grass and started 'taking the mickey' as I sped one way then jogged back the other. I invited them to join me and, to my surprise, they did.
One of them managed just one rep before falling back in the grass, I suspect a bit embarrassed about struggling to match strides with a galloping great grandad! Another fell by the wayside after two reps. The third said, "I'll just have a little rest, then join you again. He came back for just one more and gave me a trouncing. "How many are you doing?" he asked as we jogged back. I said I was doing 24 as part of my training for the Burnsall 10 mile race. "Bloody 'ell" he said, in total disbelief. They went off, waving and bearing the greatest respect. They're not all bad.
Cheers!
Thats a nice story:

Thats a good way to stop people taking the mickey

#17 ·
Megs only just started coming across this but not in a bad way as such, he says a couple of times this past week a group of 04 young lads in a car have driven slowly at the side of him, shouting stuff like 'go on lad give it that extra mile' lol, bless him he says it puts him off his stride lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.