Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've recently moved to a new flat which is right on the canalside. It's given my runs a whole new boost, as there are also woods and trails around me now too.

Problem is: What's the canal towpath etiquette, if there is one? I tend to run on the left (as you would if you were in a car), but some other runners just head straight for you and won't move over.
The cyclists can also be a bit of a pain, and some seem to like to see how close they can pass you. The good ones tend to sound a bell if they are approaching from behind, to which I signal with a quick wave that I have heard them and I move over a bit. They then tend to say thanks as they ride past. Cool.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
You are pretty much right with what you are saying with one tiny omission. Whenever someone really ignorant looking is aproaching move to the side of the tow path furthest from the canal to give them maximum room if they don't aknowledge as they pass give them a bloody good shove. Doesn't matter if they are a runner or a cyclist. You are obliged by law to do this to ignorant people. You might need to work on your technique for pushing a horse and rider in but it is possible.

Squint

For legal reasons I must point out that what I've said may well be a pile of crap and accept no responsibilty at all what so ever not even a little bit. But I will take full credit if it was really funny!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was thinking about starting a thread like this. I have just started running on a canal path and usually tend to run on the left. However, most people I have seen here tend to run/walk/cycle on the right. Maybe its just a coincidence.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I live my quiet life out in the countryside and the number of Dafties you see walking along the road on the left is unreal. Have they never read the highway code?? They then look and gesture at you because you snuck up on them while there mp3 player blocked out any noise warning of your impending passing. Walk facing the oncoming traffic you idiots!!!

Phew! rant over maybe should have saved that one for "Cheeses you off"!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give the shoving a go I think.

I notice some cyclists seem to have adjusted their bikebells so they sound as they go over rough ground. This is very considerate, as I can hear them coming from way back - and it must get annoying for them the whole way around their loop.

I'm not bothered which side I run on, so long as I can stick to it and be consistent. A lot of the runners I have encountered seem much less sociable than the cyclists who use the towpath. They don't so much as look up or grunt as they go past - at least the mountain bikes say a quick 'Hi'.

Maybe I'm asking too much on a Sunday morning. Maybe it's because I'm not adorned in the local running club's vest, built like a whippet, or soaked in sweat.

I may well just have had an odd batch of runners.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I regularly run, (and have cycled), along the canal towpath right by where I live. Everyone seems to be very courteous, including dog walkers, and the consensus appears to be that where there's room to pass easily, the more stable person (ie young fit person vs doddery older person, or walker vs cyclist) will move to the side nearer the water and the less stable will move to the side away. Similarly, if there isn't room to pass easily, the slower person will stop, squish themselves into the hedgerow and let the faster pass by (the hierarchy being the same as above). If there are equal levels of stability/speed, then there's just a general attempt to get out of the other person's way.

It appears to be an unspoken rule on our towpath, as everyone does it. It sounds rather complicated for an unspoken rule, but it's just common sense, really.

I'm personally firmly in favour of Squint's alternative for people who show no consideration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always use more caution along stretches near roads/pubs etc, as it tends to be families and kids etc - so I am happy to move over more often than not for them.

Most dog owners seem pretty good too, it has to be said.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
trick202 said:
Maybe it's because I'm not adorned in the local running club's vest, built like a whippet, or soaked in sweat.
Perhaps if you carried an actual whippet, soaked it in sweat, and made it wear a mini running club west, then waved it at inconsiderate runners? THAT would get their attention... :d

It's "mostly" the other way around over here, run on the right, overtake on the left, although it seems to be fine for runners to use the cycle paths when there are lots of walkers around

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say, I'm really, really lucky with the fact that the towpath is very well maintained and normally nice and wide. You can also see people coming from quite a way off for the most part - that's what's strange for me - it's likie playing chicken with some of them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I didn't realise you were supposed to run on the right :embarrassed:

I run on the left because it's like I'm pretending to be a bicycle, and it's easier for cyclists, faster runners, speeding cars etc to overtake without any chance of a head on collision (or so I thought). Is that bit about the Highway Code true, Squint?

Anyway, if I faced oncoming traffic, everyone I know (close knit and gossipy community) would surely die laughing... At least this way I have no idea who it is tooting me :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It is true that pedestrians should walk/run facing the oncoming traffic where there is no footpath and so you're on the actual road. It's also rather sensible as that way you can see the traffic and leap into the hedgerow when an inconsiderate driver tries to mow you down. :mad:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
It is true that pedestrians should walk/run facing the oncoming traffic...

It's OK BPC, I do face the oncoming traffic. :d I always like to see who it is who's going to force me off the road next. :mad: I've found that as a rule, motorists would rather risk hitting a runner than slowing down to allow all road-users safe passage.
But then again, why should they slow down/stop? It would mean that they get home/to work at least 5 seconds later! :rolleyes:

Does anyone else think that etiquette ~ or unwritten guidelines regarding behaviour and manners ~ now occupies a rapidly diminishing space in today's society as a whole?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
pedestrian said:
It's OK BPC, I do face the oncoming traffic. :d I always like to see who it is who's going to force me off the road next. :mad: I've found that as a rule, motorists would rather risk hitting a runner than slowing down to allow all road-users safe passage.
But then again, why should they slow down/stop? It would mean that they get home/to work at least 5 seconds later! :rolleyes:

Does anyone else think that etiquette ~ or unwritten guidelines regarding behaviour and manners ~ now occupies a rapidly diminishing space in today's society as a whole?
Glad to hear you're well-behaved pedestrian ;)

It's not just runners that motorists don't seem to mind hitting, mind you. An awful lot would happily risk knocking a cyclist off their bike rather than slow down till it's safe to overtake while allowing a decent amount of space.

Manners and consideration for others are definitely disappearing in favour of a me-me-me "I'm all right Jack" approach to life. :(

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
Glad to hear you're well-behaved pedestrian ;)

It's not just runners that motorists don't seem to mind hitting, mind you. An awful lot would happily risk knocking a cyclist off their bike rather than slow down till it's safe to overtake while allowing a decent amount of space.

Manners and consideration for others are definitely disappearing in favour of a me-me-me "I'm all right Jack" approach to life. :(

Aye, View attachment 467 that's exactly the way I've come to see things these days. :(
I've had the cycling experience too. :mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi all

Nice topic and something I was going to mention too.

Since I started running I have really noticed how rude some folk can be on pavements. Other runners and cyclists, people with dogs and older couples walking seems to be good but the 'general public' can be quite inconsiderate.

Just the other week I came across a small lady (actually looked like an egg on legs) with shopping bags around a bus stop taking up half of the width of the pavement. As she saw me approaching rather than step to the side she stood at the end of her shopping effectively blocking the pavement off to me. I bumped past her with some words. If it was a quite road I would have ventured onto it but it's really busy.

Another thing that bugs me is if two people are walking the width of the pavement don't sort of move closer a little to let you pass. Again I like to 'bump'

I'm new to this game and maybe it's the wrong thing for me to do but when I am walking with my dog or just generally being on the pavement I always move over, even before I started running.

Some folk :mad:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm lucky that the motorists around here seem to be quite good and they do move over. I suppose they realise that if they hit me at 60+ mph I might make a small dent ;)

I've got the problem of cyclists not wanting to use the road, so they use the pavement which is quite narrow. I moved over for a while, without thanks, so now I'm going to be petty and just stay where I am. Sad, but they make me petty!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've had very few problems with motorists while out running on the road even with a dog running off the lead at heel. I did have a problem once just outside Middlesborough (bloody englanders). I was out for a run with my young nephew who turned out to be less fit than he made on, as a result we were still out when it got dark. I did have on a top with reflective flashes on it tracksters with hi-viz piping and was under a street light and I'm near 6' and 13 stone so hardly small and easily missed. When some **** came down the road huggin the kerb. With my nephew tucked in behind my the car was on a collision course with us. Right at the last minute I threw my arms in the arm and stepped out from the kerb a step. The look on the drivers face was a picture as he swerved, the fact he was on his mobile might have had something to do with his lack of attention. Not the safest thing I've ever done but the road was otherwise empty.

Never had a problem with other runners being ignorant all seem to give a wee nod of acknowledgement on passing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts