Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday Sept 7th 2008

Anyone else doing this?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I shall be at Cardiff 10k providing my left calf let's me! :) We're gunning for PBs on the same day as far as I remember!

You figured out how you're getting there?!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shall be at Cardiff 10k providing my left calf let's me! :) We're gunning for PBs on the same day as far as I remember!

You figured out how you're getting there?!
In progress!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted, I think. I phoned the local taxi place I usually use, who said it really would be better if I phoned during the day as this would be more convenient for them... Sounded more like bog off, why are you bothering us with enquiries... Obviously they have enough custom to be going on with and are wasting their cash putting cards through my door to advertise. So tried this place:

www.taxiquoter.co.uk

It gave me some great quotes - then when I tried to book, it kept saying I hadn't entered credit card information that I had entered correctly - after it had kicked me twice I tried another browser with same results, so then I tried phoning and got a message saying all lines are busy, and it told me to ring a mobile number, which I did, which rang and rang and rang.

Looks like a good idea with poor implementation. Fortunately it listed the phone numbers next to the companies, so I found:

www.traffordcars.co.uk - Berbatov's new sideline :lol:

gave them a call direct, they were very professional, matched the quote, and took payment in advance by credit card. Very pleased with them, just hope i am not here posting that their cab didn't turn up on Sunday instead of running the race :((

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm sure you'll get there RRR :) Good luck on achieving a new PB!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
meh... I went to the osteopath for a final adjustment today and he had a look at my calf for me. He said my soleus muscle was particularly tight and showed me a couple of useful stretches. Looks like I strained it on my Sunday run last week (I kind of ran at PB pace without realising :s). I don't know how likely it is that I'll mimic that pace this Sunday because I've had been resting all week. I did go for a long swim yesterday but we'll see I suppose!

In short, it feels a bit tight but I don't really want to hold back! I will if I have to but here's hoping for both of us anyway :cool:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PB achieved! :d

However, I am in the dark as to what should be my official PB now should be, as Garmin says I did 10.2k in 51:57, but my official gun time is 52:08 because it took a while to actually get across the start line after the official clock had started, whereas I only started the Garmin as I crossed the start line.

I will record the 51:57 because it just feels a lot better and is the more accurate time from start to end - but what do other people do in those circumstances?

Race distances intrigue me - I have done a few courses now, and on half the Garmin has been spot on with each Kilometre marker - on the other half, it has clicked over 1k about 30 seconds before I get to the official marker and been about 200m over by the end - and this happened today!

A very good event though, nice flat course, will have to do my race blog now! :cool:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well done m8 - what was previous best?
If you keep beating PB's - you'll soon be under 50 mins!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great going RRR :d

·
Registered
506 Posts
well done again, RRR
I prefer the races that are chip-timed from start mat to finish mat, probably most people do for accuracy.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done m8 - what was previous best?
If you keep beating PB's - you'll soon be under 50 mins!

Previous best was 52:49 - I've taken another minute off my last race a few weeks ago, which in itself was 2 minutes off the previous best.

Looking back I'm amazed - first time I managed to get round 10k at all in training was around April this year, it took me an 1hr 7m - so just getting close to 50 mins by now feels like a real achievement. Am looking forward to doing the same races next year now I have a track record for each course, as hopefully with a winter's hard running under the belt I will be breaking them again :d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts