Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm the runner that trail shoes were designed for. That's to say that I run on mixed terrain, less than a mile of road to and from the park where I do most of my running, then a mixture of made up tracks and trail varying from slippery stones and potholes to mud.
I've always worn road shoes, Asics Cumulus being my latest, and frankly not had much trouble. But with winter coming and the trails getting more wet and slippery and the mud getting err, muddier I thought perhaps the time was right to try something different.

I like Asics shoes. They fit my short, wide, high arched feet and I've been told to wear cushioned, neutral shoes to suit my gait. So with this in mind, I went to my local running shop, The Running Shop in Northampton, and asked their advice. Stick with the Cumulus if they're OK they said. But I 'd decided to try some trail shoes and wanted something a bit more robust for the winter. Try Asics Trabuco then, was the reply, and I've been doing just that for about a month now.

The first thing I noticed was the fit, a bit snugger than I'm used to, probably more supportive. They seem to be as cushioned as my road shoes which I didn't expect. More grip over wet surfaces and more sure footed over the potholes, which is probably what you would expect.
They also have a "Forefoot Stone Guard" which does seem to lesson the discomfort when stepping on the odd sharp rock.
On reading some reviews the main complaint seems to be about weight. Well they weigh about 40 grams more than my roads shoes, I'm not sure if that's the pair or each but either way it's hardly a house brick is it? And if I didn't know I don't think I'd notice it.

So if like me you spend most of you time off road but not too far off and have been thinking about trail shoes, I say yes, go for it.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great post wounded! The forum seems full of really useful detailed posts lately, absolutly loving it :d

I've never tried any trail shoes, but I know my asics suck on anything remotely slippy! I was a little surprised that the cushioning levels are the same as your road shoes, but I wouldn't moan :)

The extra 40g probably won't make any difference either at training paces - maybe at race pace, but even then it's not going to massively affect you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great post wounded! The forum seems full of really useful detailed posts lately, absolutly loving it :d

I've never tried any trail shoes, but I know my asics suck on anything remotely slippy! I was a little surprised that the cushioning levels are the same as your road shoes, but I wouldn't moan :)

The extra 40g probably won't make any difference either at training paces - maybe at race pace, but even then it's not going to massively affect you.
Well thanks, Richard!

I should add that my road shoes have done a few miles whereas my trail shoes are new which may make a difference to the cushioning.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I like the Cumulus for road running too, but I've just picked up my second pair of Asics Enduro trail shoes. I really like the fit of them, which might be to do with the fact that they were the first proper running shoe that I bought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts