Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forums and looking for training advice if anyone could be so kind?

I've ran marathons and half marathons before but have now signed up to a longer (36 miles), very hilly run next July and am not quite sure how to approach it!

I am signed up for a flat marathon in April. Should I just keep the miles up between the two runs? All the training schedules I have looked at for the longer run don't have me running that kind of distance that early on...

Also does anyone have any advice on what's best to do between now and Christmas time when I would usually start marathon training?

I usually just pick one long run a year and pick a training schedule for it. Having two long runs pencilled in is throwing me a bit...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Between now and Christmas just build up good consistent base mileage. You want to get to a point where the total mileage for the first week of your marathon training plan feels really comfortable. I find that keeping the total the same for 2 weeks, then cutting back for a week, then increasing for the next 2 weeks, and so on to work well for base building.

You have to decide now which race you care more about. If you want to do a marathon PB then you need to focus entirely on that and ignore the ultra. After the marathon have a couple of very easy weeks and make sure you recover, then build back up slowly. You only really need to keep things ticking over, you'll get round the ultra even if it won't be comfortable.

If you care more about the ultra then ignore the marathon and train for the ultra. Do all your long runs on hilly routes. Use the marathon as a warm up race in place of a long run. Ultras are mostly about time on feet and the hills will be an absolute killer if you don't train for them.

I did Brighton marathon in April followed by a 100K race in July and it wasn't that bad. I started building a consistent base mileage around August last year and kicked off training proper with a marathon in December. I did all my long runs on very hilly routes and did much longer long runs than I normally would for a marathon. I think that helped even a lot even though it was pretty unconventional for marathon training, and I still ran a marathon PB.

So it's totally doable as long as you're sensible and don't get injured. Good luck :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts