Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

my employer has seen fit to send me away for a 3 month training course. The hotel i am staying in has a nice gym, pool, sauna etc. I have vowed to give up alchohol for the entire duration as i am in the middle east. This is my chance to lose the beer gut and get fit.

I am plannig on doing 1 to 1.5 hours in the gym per evening...what equipment is best for me to lose body fat? The amount of time i can spend in the gym is really down to me, i have lots of free time in the evening.

I am 37, 5'9 and weigh 14st - 200 lbs-ish I need to get down to 12 stone. I am medium fit, I can run and do a bit of road cycling...its the beer thats my biggest foe.

Is that possible in 12 weeks if i eat right and exercise?

We have good equipment but its fairly small.

Running machine
X Trainer
Bikes, upright and recumbent
Rowing machine
Weight machine and free weights

Whats the best to strip fat off. Your advice and a typical regime would be greatly appreciated.

cheers...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm not sure what to suggest in terms of a training program - cross training has never been my strong point! lol. But a few things to bear in mind would be:

Lower intensity workouts (around 65% of Max Heart Rate I think) encourage the body to burn fat preferentially as an energy source... though of course it takes longer to burn more calories.

Higher intensity workouts will tend to burn calories at a much quicker rate, thus you can burn more fat in a shorter space of time.

Higher intensity workouts are more likely to leave you aching the next day if you do too much, or in a worst case scenario - injured.

Running will burn more calories than any other exercise, but it also also puts the most shock/strain on the body.

Swimming will probably give you the best all over workout in terms of using many muscles groups with no impact or load bearing.

Sounds very confusing and contradicting I know... but it's a bit of a trade off. Ideally you want to be running as much as possible, for as long as possible... but try this and you'll probably be struggling to walk after a couple of days. something lower intensity like steady cycling or swimming will ensure you don't end up injured, but won't burn calories as quick as you potentially could...

Personally I'd probably start with low intensity stuff for a longer duration and see how you get on. Vary the workouts you do to use as many different muscles and muscle groups as possible :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome SB

I`m not a gym user but I think the rowing machine would be your best bet in respect of the beer gut.

Mix it up with a bit of running and the free weights should see you reach your goal.

I`m sure others with more gym experience will have other ideas.

Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You do like a bit of detail Richard.......:d.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Gotta have something to get me through the boring days at work eh! :p
Good call on the rower btw!! careful with your back though slaveboy if rowing for long periods ;)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Do a good mix of everything to keep you interested in your daily exercise regime. If you do the same thing day in day out you'll get bored and lose enthusiasm.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
doing mini triathalons/ duathalons such as run/ row/ cycle or run/ cycle are good fun.. but the key is to keep it all low intensity and keep your heartrate around 65%. most treadmills etc have a program that will adjust it self to fat burner zones. (although u may need to buy a hear rate monitor strap)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aye, just back from 1.5 hours in the gym. Did a bit of everything although i find it hard to keep the running machine at low intensity without slowing to a walk. There were a couple of burds there that did NOT need to got to the gym, trust me...i am glad that they did though...hopefully i can keep this up.

I really like the rowing machine, plus its got games and stuff that you can use to improve yourself..

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
The rowing machine and running machine set at an inlcine are good for fat burning. Try to hit the free weights too. Get some squats done romainian deadlifts lunging squats etc in to your routine these will give you the best all round workout with the least amount of time working most of your big muscle groups. Putting on more muscle will enable you to burn more fat faster. As everyone else has said mix it up do a bit of everything but at the same time don't flit from one thing to another give yourself time on each thing to give yourself a full workout. That and time at each station gives you more time to appreciate the other gym users.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts