Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i'm another newbee.

i posted in the new runner section but i thought perhaps here would be better.

just to repeat myself, i'm a cyclist who now has reduced training time due to family, business another baby (any day) and studying, oh! and cycling of course.

so i thought i'd have a serious go at running, it's been 3 years since i did my 1st duathlon, i managed a long 21 minute 5k and i (yesterday) managed to cover the same distance in the park in just over 22 minutes. i really don't know how this compares to others but i want to improve because if i do the next race (thruxton mass attack) 5k 30kbike and 5krun, i want to be able to meet or beat my target.

trouble is i don't know if i need to get the miles in or the speed or a mix of both??

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi again. It can be a bit quiet at weekend here.

General consensuous is to get in the miles and add speed training later. That said you already seem to be at a decent level. I take around 27-28 to do 5k

·
Registered
32 Posts
To be honest i would try & build the mileage up first,you will get a bit faster with that alone basically because you will be stronger. Give it a month or two then add in a speedwork session eg 10 x 1 min hard with 2 mins jog recovery,build that up to 20 repetitions. Further down the line add a longer rep session of 3 min intervals,all the very best Craig

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sounds a bit like my cycling intervals for increasing my time trial speed.
i notice though that i don't recover from running anywhere near as fast as my cycling, so i will have to structure my running days to enable adequate recovery prior to any events.
with the bike i have 2 days off before a race but i can train back to back, sometimes doing 5 days in a row of varying intensity minimum one hour sessions.
i will have to get a handle on the timing or it will mess me up.

thanks for the advice so far and a warm welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts