Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As some of you may be aware I will be lugging my rapidly aging frame around the good old streets of London next April 26th in aid of the fine people at CrimeStoppers (don't worry shameless sponsorship details will be forth-coming shortly :p ).

So my question is, having now taken the plunge and completed the first training plan and am now capable of running 10k (still can't believe I can do it :d ) with stopping, where do I go from here?

I have read a few marathon training plans but they are all around the 18-20 week which means starting sometime December, so what should I be aiming for up to that point as a goal, and consolidating my new found fitness.

I don't want to push on too hard risking injury from over-training and peak too soon (ha ha!!), but then I do want to make sure I am at the best level I can when beginning the actual marathon training.

So what would be a good target to look for and consolidate at pre-December ?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Not having done a marathon yet myself, I can only give my thoughts on the matter, but I'd imagine that doing a marathon for the first time is going to be a pretty demanding event and the best thing you can do is focus on making sure your body can physically manage the distance... once it looks like you've got that covered you can look at building on your speed.

So essentially your training atm should be about endurance endurance endurance... focusing on getting out running as regularly as possible so you become used to being on your feet.

Perhaps it'd be worth training for a half-marathon in the meantime? that's usually the next logical step from a 10k? :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Couldn't agree more.....aim to start the training schedule from a half marathon base.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
12 weeks is enough time to train for a half mararthon.....just don't aim too high .

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I agree, you need to gradually increase the distance you run, which might also increase your speed as a bonus. A half marathon would be a very good next step :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Game On !!

Could you be ready for a half marathon in 12 weeks??? - If so, have a look at this...

Anglesey Marathon. Marathon Môn

Go on, you know you want to...:cool:
OK, thanks to SlowSteve and Katten's recommendation (thanks mates :d ) over the weekend I have now signed up to run (ha!!) in the in-augral Anglesey half-marathon.

A couple of points to note on this:

a) The signing up process is far too simple ... where are the - are you sure you want to do this? ... are you really sure? ... no, have you really thought about this? type of thing on the on-line entry system.

b) Hills !!!! :'( ... On the guide to the type of run it didn't mention anything about hills .. t'was only after entering and then starting to read the reviews that the 'h' word seemed to to gain significance in relation to this event. Ah well, suppose it'll add some spice to the training :'(

My aims (in order) for this will be:

1) Not to expire (always a good one to have I think!)
2) To complete the course without motorised\medical assistance
3) To finish in under 2:30 (do you think this practicable\achievable for a 1st half marathon?)
4) To run the whole course
5) To hopefully not trail in last

So, given my current standard (Saturdays run of 6.5m in 58:59) where is it best to go? I have read some training plans and they seem to start rather low and build up, or should I continue where I'm at now until training schedules catch up, or continue increasing my mileage by approx. 1 mile every 2 weeks as I'm currently doing ?

B.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Great stuff Ascensis:d - here's a 12 week half marathon training plan that may be ok for you...

Half Marathon Training: Novice

Or if you feel it's too easy there's an intermediate plan aswell..

As for your aims: Numbers 1 and 2 are good (I'm particularly fond of aim number one myself:)) ...I wouldn't worry too much about the others though - just enjoy it and treat it as a stepping stone to the next level. ;)

In my far from expert opinion, if you can do 6.5 miles in under an hour - a half marathon in 12 weeks should be no problem.

Good luck and keep us informed about your progress.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Slowsteve Are you doing this half? i would have, only i'm running a half the week before.

·
Registered
634 Posts
No - my only run in the UK this year will be the Manchester 10k next Sunday. I'd love to come over more often but it just gets too expensive.

I've got two local runs lined up - a 5 miler, called the Route2crook in August, and then the Cork half marathon in September. If my finances improve I might have a go at the Milan or Florence marathon in November.;)

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
No - my only run in the UK this year will be the Manchester 10k next Sunday. I'd love to come over more often but it just gets too expensive.

I've got two local runs lined up - a 5 miler, called the Route2crook in August, and then the Cork half marathon in September. If my finances improve I might have a go at the Milan or Florence marathon in November.;)
either of those sounds good .doing my first marathon in october .

Off to the dentist know catch you later

:d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Looks good, Ascensis :)

If you just keep things steady, build up your mileage consistently and get some practice on hills, you should be able to hit all 5 targets. Walk if you have to, and don't worry too much about your time, you'll do well for sure

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Looks good, Ascensis :)

If you just keep things steady, build up your mileage consistently and get some practice on hills, you should be able to hit all 5 targets. Walk if you have to, and don't worry too much about your time, you'll do well for sure
Sorry about the thread hijack Ascensis .

The advice so far is good my advice would be set yourself a realistic target time don't stress about it though .
Katten is correct build gradually over the coming weeks and try to resist pushing yourself too hard in training to avoid the dreaded injuries and you'll be fine .

Come race day usual advice from me don't start the race too quickly too fast an early pace has a nasty habit of biting you on the bum further into the race .

Good luck with it and keep us informed of your progress.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts