Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
hi all my training for my 10 k is going pretty well i think?
i ran my first 11 k tonight in 52 mins i dont know if that is any good?
iam running further than 10 k so i can do 10k reasonable
is this a good time for a begginer?
dont really know much about times etc....
i feel like i need to built up my pace how would i do this?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What time would you like to get? :p

It looks like you would run a 10k in just under 50 minutes if you keep your pace steady. That's about 8 minutes per mile, which is pretty decent for someone new to running. A real hard-core running pro could get sub-30 minutes, I think, and many people take more than an hour. Whether a time is bad or good is specific to how you feel and what you are aiming for. For your first 10k I would suggest to just enjoy it, go at your own pace and work out from there what time would be good for next time :)

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I agree with Katten. My first 10k is in August. I have no expectations and that first race will set the benchmark. After that the competitor in me will drive improvement so I aim to just enjoy this one.

Better than me. I reckon you just enjoy it. That is my approach.

Well done on the time.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi scott thats roughly 7.36 a mile pretty good for a beginner you do have age on your side so thats good steady progress is the way to go know .

Ps do you go fishing at HORTON KIRBY OR KESTON?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
10k is my favourite distance at the moment - I train by doing longer slower runs (say 12,13,14k and above - plus "tempo" runs - running shorter distances but peaking at a generally faster pace. I haven't gone any more technical than that but you can do all kinds of other stuff like speedwork and fartlek to increase your pace

It all depends. In my race yesterday the winner won in 30:44, I did 54:36, others were coming in at 1hr 25 - yet even that last person had made a huge personal achievement.

I guess at your age if you are in good condition, sub 50 is good to aim for at first and see how you go. Although when I say at your age, I think there were one or two 60+ veterans running around 40 and a fair few over 50's doing sub 40's - it's all relative :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
around 50mins as suggested by Katten sounds reasonable... Just run it and see what happens, form there you can decide what you feel you're capable of and what training you should do to try and achieve your goals :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The thread owner posted the same thread twice.
I've merged the threads and replies. They won't look the same as when you last saw them.
Feel free to edit your replies if they don't say what you want.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The thread owner posted the same thread twice.
I've merged the threads and replies. They won't look the same as when you last saw them.
Feel free to edit your replies if they don't say what you want.
Good techinical wizardry :d No wonder Richard thought he had posted to one thread, when he both had and hadn't!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I suppose I should've noticed! That's what happens when you don't keep up to date with posts over the weekend! Makes monday's at work even more hectic! :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i fishing local at mo in ashford kent but going to start traveling
so really i done it in about 45 mins i done 11k and the race im training is 10k
so that does sound pretty ok,i think i would like to up my pace a little and try around about 40 mins
which would be good but i see what happens and like u guys said i think i would rather enjoy my first one and have some fun with it
thanks scott

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
exactly! I know most of the forum would dream of a sub 40min 10k! I know it took me over 2 years to break 40mins, and I'd like to think I was doing pretty well! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I only did for the first time a few weeks ago...years after starting running

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Richard and Steve your posts give me hope - of sub 50 at least :lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Richard and Steve your posts give me hope - of sub 50 at least :lol:
Well hopefully the fact that all my pbs...from 5k to marathon...have been run in the last 12months... proof that dedeication and training will pay off...eventually.

....plus all those steroids had to kick in sooner or later....:rolleyes::d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well hopefully the fact that all my pbs...from 5k to marathon...have been run in the last 12months... proof that dedeication and training will pay off...eventually.

....plus all those steroids had to kick in sooner or later....:rolleyes::d
Dedeication? is that anything like embrocation cream you rub on your muscles, Steve?

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Father in Law (Ex Army/Ex USAF) PB for 10km was 44 minutes dead. He was 20 at the time, so thats my goal at the moment my PB is 47.14 at the moment so a couple of minutes to shave off.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Without wanting to sound negative MSI... but is there any particular reason (other than bragging rights of course!) that your goal is to beat his PB? As a short term goal I could understand, but a 44min PB for a 10k as a 20yr old isn't really anything special - I'm confident you'll easily beat that time!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts