Runners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I started running three months ago after being for years literally sitting on the couch… I can now run for 1 hour continuously, maintaining a steady average pace of 7.5km per hour while keeping my HR always in Zone3 (aerobic).

This is a great achievement considering where I was three months ago but now I would like to try to raise the bar and then increase my pace to run 10K in 60mins: how should I train going forward to get there?

Thanks a lot in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey there!

Before answering, it is important to know what type of mileage you are putting in on a weekly basis.
It is very important to build your aerobic base before incorporating too many different workouts into the mix.

It is very important to have a long run in your weekly routine as well, which is essentially 1:30 or more. You need to train your body to run longer before you train it to run faster. A tempo run is a good idea as well. I would start with a 3km tempo run @ your desired race pace (6:00/km) and go from there.

If you check out my Youtube channel, there is a helpful video on the Benefits of building your areobic base, and this weekend I will be posting a video on how exactly to build it up before getting into other workouts, so be sure to subscribe. :)

Hopefully this helps!
Matthew Twomey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts