Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've bitten the bullet and decided to have a go at my local half marathon next summer I'm wondering what type of training plan I should follow? at the moment I run 3-4 nights per week and can manage 2 miles before keeling over, are there any good plans online I can try?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll do that. I'm hopeful I'll manage a gentle run tomorrow now that my tummy has settled and my leg isnt painful anymore. 1-2 miles will be fab :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's hoping Hrun!

I dont bother taking water with me when I run as I dont think I need it - I just drink plenty before I go and when I get back - now I'm wondering though if water will be enough when I start running for longer and further? I'm a way off yet but eventually will be running for an hour and longer and I heard thats when you should start using sports drinks, is this true? or will orange/fruit juice or a milkshake do?

I dont want to keel over after a long run!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
i think its trial and error on the drinks

personally i drink on every run.. water up to 1hr30/ 10miles and then something that will replace sweated out salts after that

i had my first experiance of gels today on my 14miler. and honestly think that it helped me...although i should have probabally had two over the run and the first one earlier than i expected.

to cut the story short i would say dont worry too much until you his the 1hr/ 6mille ish mark.. and then see how your getting on

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Beasty is spot on. Each to their own

Personally I don't carry anything up to around 10miles. And only water after that. It is worth pointing out I mostly run 6 miles and have only gone 12 plus a few times so am not really an expert. See how you feel as your mileage increases.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair point, I agree with the trial and error thing. I only discovered I dont need water at the moment when I didnt bother one night as I only planned to jog for 5 minutes when I had a sore thigh, I felt good enough to jog 2 miles and wasnt thirsty as I thought I might be. I didnt need water during my 3miler today either.

I'm looking forward to running the whole length of the trailway eventually, about 4 miles I think each way!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
If I were you Liz Id build up your mileage slowly so that you have a good base to launch from when starting your 1/2m schedule.

As for drinks you should practise taking some when out running longer distances....just drinking before hand is probably not enough....you shouldn't wait until you are thirsty to drink. You need to find out by trial and error what drinks are best for you.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
From a nutritional point of view, fruit juice mixed with water would be a great substitute for off-the-shelf sports drinks - I've used orange juice in the past, one third OJ, two thirds water.

Milkshake would be a good post run recovery drink, but personally I'd find it difficult to stomach whilst out running.

You'll learn how far you can run before you need to drink, but as steve says, try not to wait until you feel thirsty - by this point you're already slightly dehydrated and your running performance will be suffering as a result.

Good to hear you're making sure you're hydrated beforehand, maybe take water if you're going to be out over an hour, and some form of carb replenishment if you're going to be out over 1hr 30... you'll soon learn what suits you best though ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts