Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that a few people (Steepler, Katten well done to you in Amsterdam) have recently done marathons, so i thought I'd see what all the previous marathoners here would recommend for the us marathon virgins :embarrassed:

Any tips really, from training tips to recommending nappies for the day :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to get in the London next year so am thinking I need to start training now to do it half decently.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well your last point is the starting point...get yourself running fit by building up a basis from which to launch your marathon schedule....which for most folks is between 14-16 weeks, including the taper.

·
Registered
506 Posts
just out of interest, what do the people of the board consider to be a good foundation for marathon training. i.e. how many miles should I be able to run comfortably on the weekly 'long run' before considering marathon training.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you should aim for 50-75miles per week training for the marathon when you're really in the meat of the training.

Given the results of previous races we can work out your theoretical marathon pace. From that, we work out the time your marathon should take. Then, you build up to running that amount of *time* on your feet once a week, your Sunday run. So say we predict you'll run a 3hr30, you start by knowing you can go out for 1hr30, and that's your Sunday run, so build up so you're running 3hr30 at *whatever slow pace* feels comfortable. It's important to get the feet used to the time upright.

In your programme should be s reasonable amount of work done *at target marathon pace* so you know exactly what it feels like.

There should be some over-speed, under distance work aswell.

Basically build up to the time-on feet, run a good distance at target marathon pace, maybe 10k at a time, and shorter distances like 3 and 5k at slightly faster than marathon pace. With your previous race results, we can throw something together pretty quickly :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
wowee! 50-75 miles per week would be trebling what I do now! I suppose the hardest thing must be finding the time to fit the schedule in. ok but I understand what you said about time on your feet running being the most important factor. my half time of 2:03 suggests I would be looking at somewhere around 4:30 on a marathon?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are getting very tempted by this challenge Rob, definitely reckon you should give it a crack..... There are still charity places available for the London.....

I have to agree with the wow on the 75 miles per week though. I don't think I will be reaching that sort of mileage!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
luthor1 said:
you should aim for 50-75miles per week training for the marathon when you're really in the meat of the training.

My experience of training with marathon runners who would run FLM in about 4' 30"is to build up to a long run of around 20 miles,a month or so before the race.

Then to taper from there.

Weekly milage never went above 30-40 miles during any time of training.

I would say that a base of aroud 20 miles a week should allow you to start a marathon training schedule comfortably.

Might even try it myself one day...............................:eek:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
LJ... don't panic, personally in my experience of marathon training (25+ marathons completed, and ultra distance races 2 x 32mile races, a 35 mile and a 52.4 mile race, which incidently I was 1st lady finisher) you don't need to go above 50 miles in a week.

From looking at your profile it seems to me that you have a reasonable base to start from, with a good half marathon time already.

There are quite a few marathon schedules around, have a look at 'intermediate marathon schedules'. I think you would be able to complete that level without too much trouble.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Rob said:
wowee! 50-75 miles per week would be trebling what I do now! I suppose the hardest thing must be finding the time to fit the schedule in. ok but I understand what you said about time on your feet running being the most important factor. my half time of 2:03 suggests I would be looking at somewhere around 4:30 on a marathon?
That will be about right, the basic rule is double your half marathon time and add 20 minutes

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
luthor1 said:
you should aim for 50-75miles per week training for the marathon when you're really in the meat of the training. :)
In my first ever marathon, 15 months after starting running, my average for the 27 week period from Jan 1st - July 5th, 1987 was fractionally over 28 miles per week. Apart from the odd fartlek session I did no speed work as such. My longest run was 24 miles (Yorkshire Three Peaks) and I did seven races including three half marathons (fastest 85.33). This gave me a marathon time of 3.30.04
In the 13 week run-up (from Jan 1st - April 2nd, 1995) prior to my 2:53 London marathon I averaged exactly 43 miles per week. My 'long' runs were 16 mile off-road LSD's though I did one 19 miler during February. During this 13 week build-up I did seven races: 4 x 10K @ c. 39 mins, 2 Cross country races and a 14½ mile road race (Dentdale Run) in 94.40 three weeks prior to London. Apart from two track sessions (16 x 200 @ 35 secs and a 20 minute Cruise @ 74 secs per lap) the rest of my training was all steady off-road running with hills galore.
Perhaps it's something to do with age that I've never been a believer in high mileage, but always preferred quality to quantity. I know for a fact my decrepit old legs could never handle anything like 75 miles a week, particularly on the road like some people do, or I'd spend most of my time, and money, with the Physio.
Cheers!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Good advice RF, I think that sometimes higher mileage produces negative response because your muscles are in a constant state of repair.

In my marathon schedules I've peaked at between 45 and 50 miles, and have only done one or at most two weeks of that out of a 15 to 18 week schedule

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the mileage perspective Trinity/RF. That's good as I was thinking about 45-50mpw as a ceiling. 25+ marathons, that's mighty impressive Trinity!

I actually live in London (about 11miles on the Marathon route) so it going to be road based running generally, though I will make an effort to hunt out some hills. I've already started building my miles to get a good base before the marathon training and am up to 30mpw for the last 6 weeks.

I have to admit that sub 3hrs is my target, which is why I'm starting early.

RF, running the yorkshire 3 peaks is a seriously impressive feat, I've walked it a couple of times and some of those ascents are very steep for running!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
LazyJones said:
Thanks for the mileage perspective Trinity/RF. That's good as I was thinking about 45-50mpw as a ceiling. 25+ marathons, that's mighty impressive Trinity! RF, running the yorkshire 3 peaks is a seriously impressive feat, I've walked it a couple of times and some of those ascents are very steep for running!
The 'Peaks' was always my favourite race. Before my first Marathon I did it as a solo run, but I've since raced it on several occasions winning the MV60's three times. Fastest time - 3 hours 50 mins (and got beat!). So that's something else for you to aspire to LazyJones!
Cheers!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll stick to being an urban fox for the time being! Thanks for the advice and I'll try my best to join you in the sub 3 club early next year......

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
LJ...My advice for your first marathon, should you want to take it, is... don't have such a solid target time that will leave you disappointed if you don't hit it.

No matter how much you train, the first marathon race is always an unknown. There are so many factors involved that you can't train for so you can never predict with accuracy what will happen on the day.

Running a marathon is not only about the running, it's so much more. There's the head stuff too. I'm sure others will back me up on this.

You will understand more after your first marathon, you will also understand more about yourself and how your body reacts. Then you can start to make more solid targets.

Sure you want to get round in a good time, but the main thing is that you 'enjoy' the experience and get round safely

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trinity, I totally take on board what you are saying, and I agree that setting such a hard target is a bit unwise. I watched the London this year & the heat was crazy, so I know that things can & will conspire.

& I must admit the mental side is not something I'm looking forward to either.

But you know what it's like when you get something in your head.....

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I'm 5 weeks away from my third marathon and just like in the two previous ones I am averaging 65/70 miles a week.
A long run every two weeks (building up from 20K to 20 miles next week) and in the other weeks a longish run of 13/14 miles.
I am feeling much better this time though and I think the trick has been to know when to run SLOW.
This has always been a problem for me as I felt that if I was running slowly I would race slowly.
Like Runningfox said, the results come more from quality than from quantity.
On the 2nd of December we'll know if this has worked for me :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
LazyJones, I am also hoping to join the sub 3 club soon :)
As for the mental part, it's mostly in hanging on during training.
When the legs hurt, when the weather doesn't help, when you feel tired and it's Long Run Day...
Then the marathon itself, if you go within your capabilities, should be a cruise for the first 19/22 miles. It was for me.
The wall... I ran into it :p but I'm hoping to give it a miss next time :d
And then you have to be tough to keep on running. But if you put all that training in, you'll surely manage :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Fulmar,

I'm sure you will do it this time, you have obviously done the necessary training and have the talent to smash 3 hrs by a good margin. I'm sure everyone here will keep their fingers crossed for you.

I agree with the need to run SLOW when required. I also fall into the trap of running too fast when it's not necessary and that's a sure way to get injured & tired out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts