Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to run the next Marathon, I have been running 25 mins a day for 4 weeks now so i am still unfit.

This is my goal and i need advice on the best training and what foods i should eat.

If some one would like to run with me that would be great but i may have to run a bit more first as i will fold up :(

I just want to no if this is possable mabe not run the whole 26 odd miles but i wont want to give up.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm thinking about doing my first marathon next year as well but will see ho i get on during my first half first.

Its still early days - 4 weeks and running for 25 mins a day is pretty good going but be careful you don't overtain most beginners shedules recommend running 3 or 4 times a week. It will take some time for your body to adapt to the stress of running.

For training programmes have a look at www.halhigdon.com and have you thought of joining a running club?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i've just been to club and they are trying to get me to do the NewYork marathon next year, the idea sounds great but as SE says i'll see how the half goes first.

I'm sure if you have enough determination though you can achieve anything and why not aim high.
build up the time and distance gradually
Good luck

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
AS the others have said, why not ! - always good to have a goal to aim at and you have plenty of time on your side so go for it.

Just be careful at the beginning to make sure you incorporate rest days as part of your training especially as your mileage increases.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Due to an injury I had to prepare for my marathon with reduced mileage and no speedwork.
One long run a week (building up from scratch to 20 miles, 3 weeks before the marathon) and putting in the miles in the other days while listening to your body. This is a sure way to finish your marathon. It worked very well for me.
Ah! And for the first one, not setting any ambitious goal.
Finishing it will be already an achievement and will give you a time to beat in the second one.
Rest, rest, rest! If your body asks you for it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts