Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now the Autumn is fast approaching what changes do you make to your training as I wish to keep up my fitness throughout the loooooong winter months!!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
For me its the best time to train and race.

Obviously you need to train where there is plenty of light for security purposes as well as to see where you are going! You also need to know your route...the last thing you need on a wet cold night is to get lost. It's now when being a club member comes into its own as running with others is much easier than running alone when it is wet.

The treadmill can come into play more if the weather is really bad but most runners I know enjoy cool/cold conditions as the body soon warms up after a mile or so.

Personally my mileage increases from now and I do less speedwork as such.

Always a good idea to have a race in mind so as to focus your training for that event.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve, I am actually looking forward to the change in season, I am enjoying running in the outdoors , when you feel the elements somehow makes you feel part of the big picture if you know what I mean....!!! ha ha...(got a bit carried away there!!)

I will also keep my fitness up by using the treadmill

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Enjoy running in the cold,the wind and somtimes the rain.I love the isolation of running in the dark winter nights,when I can run for miles without seeing another soul,although I must agree with Steve that for security reasons this is not for all of us.
I find I can run further than I can in the heat when the problems of hydration are somthing else to worry about.
Enjoy it as much as I do Nellie and you will soon have a redundent treadmill.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting carried away Nellie. Running gives you a high especially so after you have fought the wind and the rain and get home knowing you've done yourself some good....just don't ruin it with too many chips afterwards!

Just to add that even though it may be cooler you should still take a drink with you if you are doing a long run.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Winter is a great time of year to run.
How about doing some cross country racing?
Logging miles for a spring half or full marathon?
Winter is the time to do it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Before this summer the only running I had really done was in the gym, and I did enjoy it. However, having spent the summer running outside I returned to the gym last night and had a thoroughly miserable time on the treadmill! Staring at the same bit of wall, no breeze to evaporate the puddles of sweat, and a hot and sticky changing room!

I will definitely be running outside this winter whenever I can!

flakey

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me too, before this summer I only ran on the treadmill...outside is so much better. I think I will invest in a waterproof coat though and keep my running up through the winter and maybe by Spring I will be ready to enter a race!!!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Won't be long before we are all wearing tracksters, base layers, waterproofs, gloves and woolly hat, moaning about the cold and praying for some good weather!!
Fickle lot aren't we!

·
Registered
123 Posts
tracksters, base layers, waterproofs, gloves and woolly hat eh? I was the only member at our club to go throughout the season only ever wearing shorts and t shirt at club nights (and continued outside the club), I was hoping for some sort of recognition, but sadly they only recognise useful things like PB's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The winter is my favourite time of the year for running. The air is usually clearer, you don't get too hot and there's usually less peeps around to get in the way. As long as it's not blowing a gale and raining at the same time I love it. When it really is too bad to be out I use my cross trainer indoors but I never feel as good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts