Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i find training on a day on day off basis is not always best for me, mainly because i tend to suffer mere on the day after the day after (you know what i mean), anyway, do any peeps here feel that a benefit could be gained from training in "say" 3 day blocks, then 2 days off.

i know each session would have to be different but i thought this kind of overload followed by a decent recovery time might help me to improve.

i suppose i'm also doing the best i can to train as wisely as possible with a busy life, baby etc. etc.

Craig

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have done a pattern of say, tempo run, hill work, recovery run, followed by a rest day or 2, before races and it seemed to help. Some people train 5 or 6 days a week with just the one day rest, so there's nothing to say training in blocks won't work - give it a go and find out how to fit it in best for your lifestyle :cool:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Bearing in mind you are just starting out blocks could be risky.

Based on what you said yesterday why not start out with:

Thursday AM
Saturday AM
Sunday PM

That is about as near to a day of as I can work out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bearing in mind you are just starting out blocks could be risky.

Based on what you said yesterday why not start out with:

Thursday AM
Saturday AM
Sunday PM

That is about as near to a day of as I can work out.
at the moment i am doing 3 midweek sessions, comprising:

one longer run. (up to 9 miles now)
one harder shorter faster session. (circa 3-4 miles with sprints)
one combo of hour hard spinning and a fastish 4 mile run. (tempo pace with a group)

weekend is whatever i can manage, either 2 cycle @ tempo followed by a short hard run or a longer general run.

i'm only aiming for 10k or 5k or possibly a duathlon.

how does the above sound, i like to get other peeps input.

Craig

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Craig

I normally run 4 days in a row with one of them being a speed session and then a day off then a long run followed by another day off.

Sunday - easy run
Monday - regular run (aerobic)
Tuesday - Speed Session
Wedenesday - easy
Thursday off
Friday - long run
Saturday off

I am not suggesting that you do what I am doing but I suffer no ill effect as a result of this.

You could start by doing 2 days of running 1 day off and alternate it and then add a third day in.

Main thing is listen to your body and don't be a slave to the schedule if you feel you have over done it then give yourself a rest day.

I hope that helps

TT :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts