Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go back to uni next week and so i'm trying to make up a training plan for my next year at uni...

I'm aiming to decresing my milage from to something I will maintain...

I think between 30-35 miles per week is sustainable...

I'm only going to be doing 5k or 5 mile races at uni - so what do you think of this for plan ?...

Mon - 3 mile (or rest)
Tues - 3 mile
Wed - 10 mile (long run)
Thurs - 3 mile
Friday - 3 mile
Saturday - 5 mile (tempo)
Sunday - 10 mile (long run)

Any other suggestions ?

Incase you are wondering wednesday is the only half a day so that's why I've put the extra milage midweek...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always try to run off hangovers - always feel much better after a run, shower and some decent foot than i would do lying in bed all afternoon...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You really need to be flexible basing all your running on your drinking week. If you give yourself a weekly target then it may save you a few quid for beans having to stay in on a saturday ready for sundays big catchup run.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Given I never went to uni I thought my question was sensible and your answer makes sense.

There is not much you can change and you have obviously thought about it. The fact I can't run currently is leading to the joys of cross training. I have realized there is some benefit to working muscles that running is not interested in.

So, would it be worth substituting a run or two for cross training?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
lol chill revenged! Are weds afternoons dedicated to sports at your uni or is that not a nationwide thing? Seems like a sensible time to do a long run anyway.

I'll be startin uni again this year so gonna do a bit of re-thinking myself as far as my regime goes. Hrun makes a good point about x-training really, it's handy to take advantage of the facilities while you're at uni. Also helps to keep you motivated if you mix it up a bit I find.

I'm a bit obsessed with interval training at the mo and so usually bring it up - is there a track you can use? I'm so looking forward to be able to do a session a week on the tartan!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it werent you hrun, it was the guy telling me to have a 'drinking target' every week so i could save money for 'beans' - that wasnt even funny !...

RR, wednesday off is a nationwide thing... i'm at a different campus so dont know what the facilities are like but i'll check them out... i'm not a very sporty person so may never even go, lol... i will take a look in the gym as it would be good to go there if i get injured...

lack of speedwork may be a problem... my university does not train on the track and even if i did i am not too keen on it... i dont like intervals or fartlek anymore... so i think it'll have to be the one tempo run a week...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts