Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, looking for a bit of advice!

I have been running on and off for about 3-4 years and I am looking to run a half marathon in september....which would be my first ever event. I have acquired a good 10 weeks training schedule (which stipulates that I must firstly be able to comfortably run 3-4 miles x 3 per week, which I am able to do) which I know I can stick to and should be able to help me.

However my problem is that I play 5 a-side football twice a week which I would be terribly reluctant to give up. Despite the obvious possible injury risk in the lead up to the race I would like to fit this into my schedule.

Whats the opinion would it be viable to still play football or do I have to make the sacrifice?
Would there be any way thay I could substitute some of the shorter runs for football, or would it be physically possible to play football over and above these gradually more demanding runs and still achieve my goals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Speaking from my experience I think you might be fine to carry on with the football for a short while, but it won't be long before you'll have to give it up. 10 weeks isn't a long time to train for a half marathon and whilst you have some running in your legs, if you want to get to the finish line you really need to be concentrating all of your efforts on the running.

You could swap one of the speedier runs for a game of football, it depends on the training schedule. But again, given the short time you have to train I would be reluctant to.

btw, what run are you doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as I feared........Thanks Fandango!

Doing the great scottish run!

I suppose its only a short while I would be giving up football for, however, my mate who signed me up for this, if all going well wants to have a crack at the full marathon eventually and want to compete in further races to build up to that level and no doubt try to rope me in!

I really enjoy running, its just that I prefer football and I think I would find it hard to put running as my sole hobby and to really knuckle down and train on that! So full marathon looks to be out the window for me!

Think I will give football another week or two, to wean myself off it,then turn attention to running!

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'm doing the GSR half marathon too and stangley enough, I'm doing a ten week training plan as well.

I'm doing two days cross training, in addition to the three days a week running in the schedule. Maybe you could play fives once a week and have three rest days a week?

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can do a full marathon without giving up football. As Grant has mentioned you could use it as cross training. The problem you have around this time is that 10 weeks simple isn't as long as people might think it is. If you're going to do this half marathon you'll have to give a lot of attention to the running. If you had longer (a lot longer) to train you could easily keep the two sessions of football.

Go for a marathon, but don't go for a crash course training session. Take your time to build up the millage if you want to keep the football. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Grant and Fandango!

Will see how it goes.... I am ready to give it up though if necessary..... made a commitment so gonna stick by it. I dont have any pretences that this 10 week thing will be easy, quite the opposite in fact.

Fandango, I hear what your saying. There is no way I would do a crash course for the full marathon! I have managed to build up to a 6-7 mile run before and I do believe the GSR is in my capability, however the marathon is a different beast altogether and if I do end up embarking on it....it would be strictly by the book! No half measures!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
For quite a while I played 5-a-side between 2 club runs, (and again at the weekend, but playing in-goal) and it was do-able, but after the club run the following day I'd be feeling it a lot.

I think a lot of it depends on the level of football you're playing? If it's competitive (local matches or whatever) then it suddenly becomes much easier to become injured. Even friendly kick-arounds can leave you with plenty of sore muscles though. I carried on playing for a while as I love the sport, but in reality I want to progress as much as possible with running and football was preventing that - I found myself getting niggles every other week so have given it up.

I'd say see how it goes, if you start to find yourself getting too tired from it then give it a rest until after the half. As with most training questions, there's no right or wrong answer, it's a case of how your body copes with the workload. ;)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
panamahat said:
Thanks Grant and Fandango!

Will see how it goes.... I am ready to give it up though if necessary..... made a commitment so gonna stick by it. I dont have any pretences that this 10 week thing will be easy, quite the opposite in fact.

Fandango, I hear what your saying. There is no way I would do a crash course for the full marathon! I have managed to build up to a 6-7 mile run before and I do believe the GSR is in my capability, however the marathon is a different beast altogether and if I do end up embarking on it....it would be strictly by the book! No half measures!
If you're running 6-7miles at a time now, you'll be able to build up to doing the half without any problems. The GSR half marathon route is much better than the 10km route, IMO.

Good luck with the training.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts